The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently have a 2020 flex header that works quite well for peas and soybeans. However in heavy wheat with the cutter bar locked rigid, we have a lot of feeding problems. Wheat tends to wrap around the drum and cause all sorts of flow problems. We've adjusted the stripper bars to their extremes (closest on the outside, farthest away on the inside but it still rubs!) but still have problems. So we've determined that the 2020 header is just not up to the task.

Instead we're looking at the CaseIH 2162 flex draper, made by macdon. Has anyone got any experience using this header on peas? Does it divide the vines alright? How does it work in general?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a feeling this thread is gonna get bumped over to headers, but while it's here..... We have the same problem with the 2020. It worked well for us in peas, lentils and durum. Then we got to wheat and I was ready to toss that head in a coulee. Wow it was bad. Also, I don't think it is built heavy enough. I hit a 40lb rock that was buried underneath lodged lentils at 4.5mph, and instead of bending a guard or floating over it, it bent the knife up 8 inches and bent 4 arms underneath. We were down for a day while we got a replacement header from the dealer and needless to say it was a very expensive repair. They just aren't built heavy enough. As for the 2162, it is a very solid head. I've put 350hrs on the 40ft 2162 while working for another guy. We are ordering a 35ft this fall for our 7120. It works alot better in peas than our honeybee ever did, but the pea auger really inhibits your view of the canvas and basically all you can see is the knife. It isn't a 2020 in peas, so if the crop is really fluffy there might be some feeding issues, but generally it will do fine, and you will like it in all your other crops much better than the 2020. The key is to get it set right! There are multiple adjustments that need to be made to allow the 2162 to float properly, and sometimes if your soil conditions change it will push some dirt and have to be tweaked. It is well built, but I found it to be bad for picking up rocks, and have gone through multiple feeder chains as it tends to pick up some big ones! It's not perfect, but from what I hear and what I've experienced it is the best header out there for now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Have you tried the rock guard option. It's about a 2" riser that bolts on behind the knife. I've never done peas so I don't know how it will affect crop flow but it's not a problem in soys.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It came on a head that we bought used. The guy that had it before seemed to like it. It's available as a kit from the dealer. I took it off and put on the bean saver kit for doing edibles which also offers some stone protection although not as much. I might sell the rock guard if you are interestred.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good tip about the header forum. I'm reading up right now on the various experiences with the MacDon FD70/2162 header. Moderators could move this thread if they wish.

Interestingly we don't need the auger for our peas. Our peas are all on irrigation so while they are pretty tall, they all lodge flat on the ground. So we just scrape them in with our 2020 and some lifter guards and we never have problems with the material being too fluffy. What I am unsure about, however, and this would be an uncertainty on rigid or flex drapers, is how it would work on canola. We actually straight cut heavy, irrigated argentine canola with no spray-on pod sealers or anything (we're starting to experiment anyway). We've experimented with roundup desication (liberty-link canola) and also reglone. So we have canola that's pretty bushy and dry. with the 2020 we can just cruise along with the reel up out of the way (not really doing anything) and the drum just pulls it in like a carpet. It's quite something and the yields are as good or better than swathing. The disadvantage is that it takes more time to wait for the canola to die off and be ready than if we swathed it. Anyway I'm not sure how the draper, even with the auger, would deal with canola. I'm not sure how much the drum is pulling on the carpet of crop and how much is the canola simply falling into the pickup after being cut. Anyway, we'd like a header that would do everything well, but maybe that's not possible. Certainly we have to be able to combine peas and soybeans in flex mode, and wheat, which I believe this header can do pretty well. But the Canola would be nice too. We're currently wondering if we should just by a rigid draper header and keep our 2020 for the crops that need it, given our needs and the possibility of doing straight-cut canola.

For visibility purposes, do you think it would be easy to remove the pea auger when it is not needed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts