The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a bad idea to put an 8 row header on a 2166. It is a 97 model and only has 1100 hours on it already running a 25' bean head with no trouble. moving to a 16 row planter and can't see trading combines. Thanks in advance for any input.
Payton

·
Registered
105 Posts
The answer probably depends on the yield and moisture of the corn you are harvesting.
My neighbor had a 2366 with a 6 row head and went to an 8 row head; He got into 200 bushel corn at 23% moisture and could only go 2.5 mph. He was not happy and bought a 2388.
This year my 2388 with an 8 row head could only go about 3.8 mph in 240 bushel 17% corn. It had the power to go faster but the rotor loss became excessive. I even installed round bar concaves and removed rods but it hit a capacity limit in this high yielding corn.

Maybe in 150 bushel or less corn you might make it go but for me I do not want anything with less power or capacity than a 2388 with an 8 row head.
One other thing…you never have enough grain tank capacity with the 8 row head. I put the biggest grain tank extension on the 2388 and still have to fool around when I am opening up a field. It was nice to go all the way around when I had the old 1660 combine with a 6 row head. I have some part time help running the grain cart and they never are in the right place when I am opening up a field.

·
Registered
109 Posts
we bought a 2166 new in 97 put a 1083 on it worked great .not sure if are you 4wd, we were, some hills had to switch to 2wd to reverse it. the next year we had a 2366 and ran that corn head and a 30' 1020. I would have one if I had a 16 row planter in a heart beat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We ran a 2166 on an 8 row for quite a few years. It handled it fine. The fuel pump was turned up so that did help quite a bit. With the smaller rotor and seperating area, it is definately harder to keep corn in the machine than with an 88. But it can definately be done. Just takes a good operator and someone that KNOWS how to set a combine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys It has a maurer bin ext and fuel pump turned up, have no problem in 200 bu corn with 6 row head going 6+. It is 4wd drive do I need some weight on the rear?

·
Registered
111 Posts
We had a 1063 on a 2366 & then switched to a 1083 & couldn't see much difference in how the combine handled the heads. Was able to run 4mph with the 1083 in 200 bpa corn without much problem, though had to slow a little when unloading on the go.

If the head is a poly head you shouldn't need any rear weights, least we never ran any on the 2366. If it has metal snouts you may want to add a few weights to it though you should be able to get along without any, especially with 4wd

·
Registered
17 Posts
We had a 1995 2166 with 4000 hours on it and ran a 1083 poly on it the whole time we had it(bought used in fall of 2000). We combine 85% terraces and didn't have a single problem. We did have 1200 pounds of weight on the rear end and also ran 30.5 tires on it. We did not run a bin extension on it and would not recommend it( to hard on axles and tires). We did finally trade for a 2003 2388 before 2007 harvest and this combine kicks the 2166 all over the board. So good luck deciding on what to do.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The limit on the 66's with a 8 row head usually is the clean grain elevator especially in high moisture corn if you have a bin extension. Setting the slip clutch torque up a little like the newer units and having a hyd drive bubble-up auger in the bin makes all the difference in the world. Then it should work fine with an 8 row header.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I learned to catch on the "go" with a 1086 and a 450 bushel wagon from a 1460 and an 8 row head. I know a few guys that still use a 1460 with 8 row heads. The combine will handle it, just weight for it and be patient while using it.

We went from a 1660 to a 2188 and dad claimed the leap felt a lot like the jump from the 1460 to the 1660. All those have had 8 row heads.

When you are looking at trading do not get the 2208 because it is much heavier than the 1083. We have had excellent luck with ours and I consider it to be a good head. It's just going to be heavier than your 66 is going to want to play with. If you trade up to an 88 I would recommend the 2208.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts