The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Field Tracker works great 95 % of the time. Occasionally when the left side is on the uphill side it raises the left side about 8" and sometimes will go back to working after a few seconds and sometimes I must stop and wait for it to lower.

It levels fine when raised.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Switched POTS from Rt. to Lt. Still problem with Lt. side raising to full hight 8"-12". So must not be header POTS.
Checked header POTS and OHMs correct. Will raise Lt. side and lower Lt. side when sitting still with machine and head engaged. When Lt. side raises cannot over ride with the balance control!?!

·
Registered
17 Posts
This may sound simple, but make sure you have a good clean connection where it plugs into the combine. 95% of our field tracker problems end up being a bad connection. Whenever connection is lost the header will tilt to one side and the balance control looses all effect but it still levels when you raise it all the way up. So I would try some contact cleaner and check for broken wires on the back of each plug. Good luck, hope its that easy. I know these electrical problems are frustrating.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Also check the wires on the header. Mice like to chew through stuff, and maybe there is a bare wire shorting to the frame occasionally.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. It has to be electrical. I have examined all the wiring except what goes through the square head frame. I checked the round plug and all three flat plugs.

I will try to do Ohm's check at the feeder house of the wires after they come through the square header tube. Problem is it is an intermittent problem. Maybe I can check the Ohm's while it is sitting there running. Could see if they change when the Lt. side decides to come up.

I hate to pull the wiring harness out of the square tube on the head but, may have to to inspect and test it.

Thanks again for your posts!

·
Registered
238 Posts
My mechanic told me to pull the cable out of the header beam asap. Mice love that spot, makes a great nest, full of dry crop matter, and well protected. There's enough copper in there to hook up a home theatre, just have to re-arrange it a little.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Make absolutley sure the head is level when it is in cutting position. Find a level piece of ground and drop head with everything in auto. then shut FT to manual and pick head up enough to see if both sides are exactly the same. Twitch your leveling knob whatever direction you need to and put it back in auto and do this 2 or 3 times till you get it perfect. then leave it alone. Going thru the field doing this is just going to piss you off and your FT will drive you nuts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts