The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm not super familiar with red combines, but I am helping a guy out with his. It's a 2166 and the grain loss needle bounces around a lot and it will stick all the way to the right, and then bounce around again. The monitor system seems to work fine doing the tap test on the sensors. That is about all I have tried so far. I looked over the wiring harnesses and it don't look like mice have been to them or any borken wires. Didn't know if there was a common fix for this. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to ask him about that today if he had tried that. It's hard to check because crops won't be ready for a while yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had that problem on a 2166 couple years ago. The lights for the chaffer loss were blinking alot and the needle was going nuts , found that where the wiring harness wraps around the rear and moves back and forth with the sieves the wires were rubbing together inside the harness and touching each other. The price of a new harness was out of sight so I spread the wires, coated with liquid tape then wrapped it up. That took care of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i have heard of that. Checked it and it looks good there. Maybe I will do a continuity check just incase. I saw a bare wire for the rotor loss sensor. I think when the shoe augor drive shaft come around, the clamp for the sprocket must hit the wire at the spot that is bare. I told him about it and he said the needle goes crazy all the time wether it is just the shoe, the rotor, or both. So in my mind that rules that wire out since it just acts up when it is just on the shoe sensor setting. I'll just keep searching. Probably something simple that I am overlooking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts