The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I'm new to the site so hopefully i get things right. I've got a question on how to get my monitor to work.... I'm just looking to use it for knowing my moisture and bu/acre, I got it all set up and when i run the combine it says insert data card and then freezes up the monitor so you can't push anymore buttons. I guess I was wondering if I need a data card to run it or not? Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
105 Posts
you need to push setup or mem I don't remember which, but keep poking it till data card comes up, use the yes/no arrows to switch it to "none." That should get you going to do what you want to do.

I'll look in my book tomorrow forsure.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just a couple more questions on these 2188 yield monitors (The black box style with LCD display). We just purchased a 2188 last month and it comes with an AFS monitor for yield, moisture, and field mapping. Do they do an adequate job? I have loked all over this forum and other websites to find info on them, but very little is mentioned, except for the newer monitors on the new combines. Even Case's website doesn't have anything. I am interested in the yield mapping end of things as we are trying new varieties, different seeding rates, etc. Or am I expecting too much? Not too sure what to expect from it, but I am hoping it will do the job. If anyone has any links regarding this style of monitor, please post it up here.
Thanks!

·
Registered
560 Posts
the technology in these monitors is considered obsolete, and they're certainly not fancy, but they are capable of excellent results (often equal to a "modern" monitor), as long as you're just looking for basic yield/moisture data and mapping.

The AFS black box is essentially an AgLeader YM2000
http://agleader.com/support.php?Page=manuals/ym2000

The firmware is different, but general operation is very similar. Before you head to the field, make sure your firmware is current (6.02AC or BC). If it's not, your dealer can order the new chip for you (should be less than $50). Also might be a good idea to replace the internal battery, if you don't know when it was last done (or ever done).

888-CASE-AFS can answer any questions you have, or http://www.caseihafs.com/contact.php

·
Registered
77 Posts
Read the manual and do calibration loads for each crop. This will dial it in and make it as accurate as it can be. Its only as good as its calibration. I would recommend getting a card or 2, You can find them cheap on EBAY, I bought one last year for $25. When field mapping you can only get about 6 or 7 days on a card. The main reason I would recommend a card is so you can back up your data and calibration loads so when the internal batteries do fail you don't have to go through the nightmare of recalibrating everything.

·
Registered
620 Posts
For now keep hitting the mem key until you see "logging device" it will likely say "1MB", hit the up down arrow on the upper keypad area to change to "NONE" and you are good to go. When you get a card and a GPS antenna you can change back to collect the data to create maps. The Black box will do just about everything the new ones will do.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok, a question about the card. What size should we be looking at? I had read somewhere that somebody had a large size (memory) card that they could not get to work in their 2188. They were told the card was too large a memory for the unit to work. Is that true? If so, what should we be looking at? And do we need to purchase special software for our home computer to get the interface happening?
Thanks

·
Registered
560 Posts
for the black box, the max size is 4MB (yes, MB, not GB), and it must be an SRAM (not ATA or any other memory format). Virtually obsolete by today's standards. CIH still sells these, AFAIK, or you can find them on eBay, etc. The CIH part number is 224984A3.

Edit: to clarify, the CIH card is a 1MB card. If you're logging data every second, you'll get about 15 hrs of harvest on the card before it fills up. At 2 seconds, you can get about 30hrs, or 3secs ~45hrs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok, that answers the questions that I had for now. I appreciate the answers you all gave. If it turns out anyone has an old 4 mb card kicking around that they want to sell, pm me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So I take it that the built in rechargeable kind would be best to purchase new, as they are likely dead this many years later?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have one of the monitors in my 1998 2366. Got it new to me two years ago.

I learned to download the SRAM card everynight or I'd lose data.

Also learned that the darn think was not Y2K compatible. Kept having problems the first year with no data, incomplete data, etc... Had an "expert-that works with/sells Ag Leader stuff" help me out. Finally punched in a year date of ten (10) earlier and it's worked fine ever since. So for last year's data, my printouts say 1998 instead of 2008. So this year's harvest will be 1999, next will be 1990.

I have two cards.

The expert gave me the software from Ag Leader to put on my computer. You get either 15 or 30 days of free use then it locks you out of doing much with the data--like printing maps.

After the 15 or 30 period, you can still download the data into your computer and see the data points and a really small map of your field in the bottom left corner of the computer screen. But you can't do anything with it unless you pay Ag Leader a bunch of $. I finish harvest and take my data to the coop and they will print it out for a dollar a page.

The coop gave me another software disk last year. So after harvest this year, I will load the software and print the maps right then on my main computer. I will use the previous software on an older computer laptop to save the data each night. I save the data to a thumb drive and transfere it to the main computer.

Oh, make sure your computer will read a SRAM card. Our newer laptop does not and neither does our main computer. But our old sitting on the shelf for a couple of years does. The power supply "broke" for it. Had to buy another off of ebay-it was cheap. Almost purchased another identical laptop.

I set mine to read data either every 2 or 3 seconds. I calibrate at the beginning of harvest. I don't need the exact bushels during harvest since more than half gets measured by the elevator and the rest by measuring the bins when finished.

I start harvest, calibrate and continue. After harvest, I add my scale tickets up and add the bin amounts up, add together then compare that number to the yield monitor.

First of all the acres will be off in some fields, nearly dead on in some others. So I adjust the field by field numbers and adjust the final overall numbers (which the coop did for me last year-I plan to this year).

I figure this gives me a "relative" bu/ac printout. Good enough for me, I farm by my self, I know my fields, landlords do not need the info (for now).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Wow... thanks for all that information 1640! I appreciate your input, as most of what you described I would have run in to.
Another question,
If I don't have a computer to read this thing, can I buy a card reader and use it on XP or Vista? Anybody out there doing that?

·
Registered
912 Posts
We currently run AFS in our 2388 (its a 2000). I'll have to check on the card size but we can put all the data (GPS included) for field mapping on 1 card and we run about 2000 acres. If anyone has any ?s on it feel free to drop me a private message or ask on here.

We DO NOT have the black box style. We have the touchscreen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts