The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my 2188 getting ready for wheat harvest and have been having trouble shearing the bolt that goes through the coupler next to the brake. Find that the splines are just about toast so was going to get a new one and found out that there are only 2 in the world!, both are in Australia! Will take a week or two before one of them gets here. Glad we found this problem this early as we are probably only 4 weeks away from harvest.

Just another fine example of Mother Case and her parts inventory. On this subject, how often do you grease your couplers? Was told by a friend of mine that after seeing how dry my couplers are and the wear that has occurred, he said I wasn't greasing them often enough. He told me every other day they should be greased.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still waiting.....................as the wheat is starting to turn! Thanks Mother Case on your availability of parts!

·
Registered
657 Posts
i know where you are coming from trakman. this spring we had a hyd. pump go out on our quad trac there was not one anywhere in the us or canada they told us they could get us one in 2 weeks. just what you want to hear during spring planting luckily we found one at a local pump repair place or we would still probably be waiting. like you combine and our quad how many of them machines are out there and they can't stock these parts. what is happening

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just learned a short while ago that the shaft is in customs somewhere en-route from Australia. Wonder how long that will take to get processed? Don't suppose that the custom officials know the "urgency" of getting the shaft here so I can harvest wheat. Guess they don't eat!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you "ever" get your shaft? Looks like rain will keep us all out of the field in this area of kansas for a few days.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Jim, finally got the shaft and the combine home. All the paperwork must have been in order.

NOW, it needs to quit raining! Have had over 2inches here since Saturday morning and looks like more on the way. Talk of river and creek flooding around here due to the BIG rains west and southwest of Salina. I've got 120 acres of Beans and 110 acres of Corn on the river that is suppose to flood so will see what happens.

Did you finally get your combine back or did you just go get it?

Take care, Larry

·
Registered
900 Posts
Broke a gang bolt on my disk a couple yrs ago they told me six weeks before I could get one you know what I wasn't going to wait six weeks to finish planting! Funny thing it isn't like it's a rare part they made alot of machines with that shaft. Had to get a couple bushings for my 2388 which I'm pretty sure were common all the way back to the 1480's and they had to get them from Regina; didn't have them in U.S.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I've never turned up my machine. I'm just running a 25ft head and maybe not driving fast enough to "overwork it" I try to cut 40 to 50 bu. wheat at around 4.5mph. That said, I do like to cut the stubble short so this makes for a lot of straw to be handled which is some what a limiting factor.

Hows your wheat doing? I hope better than the price!....LOL Wheat around here looks to be in the 40 to 50bu range, by far no bin buster. Too much Downybroam and cheat and late planted wheat is kind of thin.

On your combine, I'd make them come back after wheat harvest and haul it back to Wichita, FREE and make them finish up what they still have to do and any new problems that arise during wheat harvest. If your like me, I would question the honesty of the hauling charge NOT being in the final bill.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Larry,
Well, supposedly, Straub is going to come down after I finish wheat harvest and haul the combine back and finish the work they were supposed to do, and at no charge for the hauling. So, will have to wait and see how that goes. Hate to let it go back, as I may not have it returned for fall harvest!(lol) I've only finished one quarter of wheat, looked good from the road, but when I was running the combine, it was kind of thin in spots. It was Shocker, and surprisingly yielded 49 bu. I think it was ready to cut last weekend, but as stated before, I didnt have a combine. The rain last Sunday-Monday, kind of bleached the wheat a bit, but it was still testing between 61-62#'s.

A buddy of mine that works at Spirit in Wichita, always runs my combine for me, as he is this year. But he has to go to California on the 21st for some schooling. Don't think we will be done by then, so will put me in a labor crunch. If you are not cutting by then, I'll hire you to come down and run my machine!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yep, finally got my combine back late Thursday afternoon(not all work completed, but hopefully enough to harvest some wheat). Started cutting about 3:30 on Friday, cut till about 10:30, then started Sat morning about 1:00, was able to cut until showers started around 9:30. Looked like you guys from Hutch towards Salina had rain most of the afternoon on Saturday? We lucked out a bit, only had 1/2" in my immediate area, but more chances this afternoon and tonight.

Hey, was wondering, did you ever turn up your machine, plus re-adjust the wastegate? Thinking I might try that tomorrow, to see if I can get a little more HP out of it, as it always seems to lag in that aspect. Just read an old thread by Big A", giving pretty good details on what to do, so might give it a try.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You never know, I might just take you up on your proposal. I really like to run a combine. Did you get big rains last night? Storm came through here about 9:30pm and dumped another 1.77 so that makes almost 4inches since early Saturday morning. Going to be a while now before we get started.

I've got some Shocker that looks good but you never know until you get into it.

Keep me posted on how things are going. Lets hope that the both of us will get some drier conditions and we can get this harvest out of the way.

Larry

·
Registered
237 Posts
Larry,
We only had .4 on Saturday night, so I thought we missed the bullet! But, starting raining yesterday about 6:30, all night, and dumped another 4.5" out this morning! Ouch!

·
Registered
43 Posts
mine was the same way last fall, i just got the reman brake assy, and and didnt have to worry about the the piston seals, accually we changed it in the field. easy 45 min job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts