The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new clean grain chain, sprockets and upper and lower bearings all oem parts. I set chain tension to spec in manual. When I run it with no grain in elevator u can hear rubber cups tapping against tube at certain rpms worse at wide open, it rumbles. If I tighten chain tighter it will go away. It was quiet with old chain. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
we had the same thing happen with our 2388 last year. rumble with new chain and was quiet with the old one. even considered putting the old one back in (it was worn but not totally worn out) but ended up running the new chain. after harvest was over I still noticed it some but it was a lot better after wearing the chain in. still don't know why they can't make a chain that fits within the specs.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
couple questions, slight drag on chain on bottom sprocket, chain installed right, new machines do this, don't know if they made longer flaps, scott.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the chain set so you can just pull it off the bottem sprocket 1/16" if i tighten the chain so there is no play on bottem sprocket and very little deflection its quiet. The chain is in the right way. The new chain does have larger paddles but the old one is worn. I replaced the tailings chain and sprockets a couple years ago with oem parts and you could see that the new sprockets were not bored perfectly in the center and it made the chain have tight and loose spots but didn't make any noises. The clean grain sprokets look better but who knows, oem parts should be a safe bet, but i wonder about the quality.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to our 2188. Just tightened again and rumble went away. I just think the first 5 hours on a new chian is when they stretch the most.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm guessing the new chain had a sticky oily coating on it? When they are new and even if they are adjusted correctly the elevator chain will rumble. It's caused by the sticky coating on the rubber paddles binding on the side of the elevator housing. The chain will deflect / vibrate up the elevator because there is no grain in there to keep it tight. As soon as you have some grain pass through it will remove the oily film and stop rumbling. It happens on nearly all new machines before they hit the crop. Yes it sounds like the machine is going to hemerage, but it's normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, I put some hours on new chain and it has made a difference. It will rumble maybe once a day but seems ok now.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You gotta watch that rumble as we had a lower shaft break off right at the sprocket because of the vibration .
Marshall

·
Registered
91 Posts
theres a plate above the shaft thats probably broke . had same problem in my 2388 last year after replaceing the chain its like a guide

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its beeen 2 years now and i only have a rumble when i first start using it in wheat season, i oil the elevator chains every fall and that brings the noise, once grain goes through it its quiet. thanks for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts