The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fall we've been having problems with our feeder drive belt slipping. Its been slipping when were running our corn head and our row crop head. In the corn it would start to slip when we were running over 4.5 mph and with our row crop were having problems when were picking up the down milo and trying to run much over 3.5 mph. When the belt starts to slip you can see the header start to slow down a little then the header cut off shuts the header off. We just reverse the feeder house for a second and the turn it back on and we can go for a while with out it slipping and sometimes it will start to slip again after getting into the crop about 5 feet.

We've tried tightening the drive belt on the feeder house and the drive belt driven by the seperator. After tightening both of these the problem has not gone away, it has helped a little bit but not enough to make the problem go away.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Any idea what would be causing this?

·
Registered
998 Posts
As long as you have adjusted your feeder engage belt properly (the one with the gauge block + window), check the slipclutch - it's all in the ops manual.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've never had that happen before, trying to think what could be causing it. Is the tensioner in good shape? Maybe there are some bushings worn out and that's causing some play in the arm that holds the tensioner pulley. Only other things I can think of are the condition of the belts and pulleys.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bet your driven pulley( on front of feederhouse) is worn. I had the exact same thing happen on my 1660. Replaced pulley and belt and it never happened again

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would replace the belt. Once the belts become glazed, they will not hold under a big pull, even though they look alright.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The belt on the feeder house and the driven pulley on the feeder house were replaced this summer. I think the tensioners are all in good shape and the bushing are all tight as well. We've tightened both feeder drive belts according to the book. Does the slip clutch for the feeder house ratchet or does it not make any noise when it starts to slip? Probly need to take a look at it after were done cutting in a few days. The combine has a long winter of work that needs to be done to it so it'll get a good look over when it gets in the shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts