The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the feeder drum. I have a standard drum with 3 strand chain. The center chain has punched a bunch of dents into the drum. Only in the center only. The drum is badly egged and needs to be replaced.

Question: Would switching to a stone retarder drum prevent this? I don't want to put in a new drum only to have it cave in in the center again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Our feeder drum had three rows of dents so we welded three stainless strips (about 70mm or 3 inches wide) over the dented sections of the drum. Using stainless you can getaway with thin sheet, I think we used 2mm, 1/16 sheet. After 1000 hrs it is slightly dented but not worth worrying about. It does push the feeder chain forward but not much.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm glad your memory is better than mine Doorknob. If you search for that drum I believe you'll find mixed reviews. There are rubber/plastic strips that you can get to pop rivet to drum to prevent chain from wearing into it real bad. Since I use plastic feeder chain this doesn't happen as bad. We use he strips on our drums as they were wore when we bought our combines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.