The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing some tune ups. I found i neede to do the feeder chain drive sprockets and figured i would change bearings on the feeder shaft and rock beater while its all apart.

I have the shafts out. How do the bearing come out. I tried smacking from either side but no luck. Is there a special technique or just a bigger hammer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Look carefully clean with air you should find notches in the bearing housing. Punch on one side to twist bearing 90 deg and it slips out through the notches.
Should not need a big hammer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks wimmer. I thought so but they were in hellish tight. Had to put the hex shaft in the bearing, then use the shaft as leverage with my "slim" figure to rock the bearings loose in the holders. Had to alternate between rocking withe the shaft and applying liberal amounts of wd40. Had to work them quite a bit before they were free enough to roll over with punch and hammer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Be very careful putting in the new bearings. You really need to take the time to make sure the groove that it sits in is cleaned up. Do not force the new bearing in. When the bearing is inserted into the groove and is still 90 degrees to the groove, rotate it around to find where it will slip back into the groove the easiest. It should go pretty easy. If you need to pound on the bearing too hard to get it in it is easy to damage it but you won't know until it fails on you. I learned this the hard way. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts