The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The feeder reverser on our 2188 seems to be weak. Most of the time you have to hit the switch 10-20 times before it engages. It just grinds then finally engages. Is my starter motor shot? If so, can they be repaired? A new one is $600.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I occasionally had same problem on my 2188, but it always seemed to worked after few tries. I thought it might be a starter motor alignment issue and needed to be shimmed like a starter on a car engine, but never figured it out. The weakness is somewhat normal, and one reason for hyd. reverser on later models.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
We had a 2188 that had a bunch of dirt in the part that slides. In our case, it would engage, but then wouldn't disengage. In your case, maybe there is some dirt inside it that won't allow it to fully engage.

-Lance

·
Registered
103 Posts
watch your motor while having somebody in the cab trying to reverse it. if you see the little gear off your motor extending out but not making full connection with the feeder rev, then try shimming it out, this is what causes your grinding noise the little gear is just barley catching the feeder gear, if the little gear is not trying to extend then check your wires to motor, if those are ok then its probably your motor

·
Registered
975 Posts
Get the hyd. reverser update kit.....Well worth the money. We did it on our 2188 and it was worth every penny. Even worth more when you trade it in too. The starter motor is junk....

·
Registered
54 Posts
you can rebuild these like a normal starter ... I've had them simply wear out the little bushing on the end and it got me up and goin...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep the bendix clean by blowing the dust out of it. If you’ve been trying it many times maybe the little gear on the starter is wore that it can’t engage? Check the bigger drive sprocket to see if it’s loose on the shaft.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts