The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this year I'm running a gerringhoff rotadisc and after about three hours of running the gearbox above the rotor starts to smell. I changed from the case 135 oil to synthetic 75 90 because it is supposed to run cooler. anyone have any suggestions. the geabox does not leak and I know the new cornhead requires more power, however what can I do?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Like amax said, the vent is near the cab air intake, so you can sometimes smell it. I would make sure that the vent is not plugged at all, but I wouldn't think it is if you can smell it. I don't have any experience running a header like you have on these combines, but I know that a flex head that has an air reel will put more strain on that gearbox. I always try to change that gearbox oil at least every year, even if you are not doing that much work, and if it is cruddy oil, I like to flush the gearbox out with deisel fuel to clean junk out. I always run high quality synthetic oil. If anybody else has suggestions, I would also be interested in hearing them.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Run synthetic in it and change every year you should be fine. If it gives you trouble or fails then replace with a later 2300/2500 series box which has much larger oil capacity and runs cooler. You should not have a problem with the original box if serviced regularly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run a Shelbourne Reynolds stripper header on my IH combine. They take a lot of power and I noticed the first day that the little header box ran pretty warm. I switched it to Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic and the box now runs almost cool. The synthetic oil also stays baby oil clear.
Shelbourne Reynolds specifys nothing but Mobil 1 75-- 90 in the stripper header gear boxes , to be changed every year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does it have the Updated breather installed? where you actuly drill a hole in the top of the gear box cover and put in a breather? and one of them Screw tight dipstick so it is not venting out the top of the dipstick right by the cab air filter And i have also took and run a hose a ways back the right side of the combine and put the breather back further seemed to cure most of them. And absolutly run 75-90

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had it happen again. Although this time it nearly burnt the combine down. Had case come out and we took it out and found that one of the gears was loose on the shaft. I don't know if this new head did it in or if it was ready to go out anyway. Just another day of fixing this 21. Upgrading to the bigger 2388 version. Thanks for all your input, sorry it took so long to get back to post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts