The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2188 with 853 row head cutting milo today. Error came up in the "A" post window...Header P2. Read in the book that it refers to header calibration. Stuck the row head over a ditch but not deep enought to completely retract the lift cylinders (need to hang it over the edge of the Grand Canyon to get them fully retacted,W/ the head on) LOL Anyway, tried to recalibrate and it wasn't real successful. Height window now only indicates fully up at 34......while down as far as I could go stopped at 4. Do I need to do a better job of calibrating or do I have something wrong?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You should be able to get a decent calibration even without getting full travel down. All the way up should read around 60 if memory serves me correctly. Just did mine with the 1020 on to try to get the autoheight to work and it is showing me about 62 when up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i had a 2388 i had to recalibrate a few times then it would not calibrate any more it was the feeder pot on the left side of the feederhouse. hope this helps. only had 3 in aweek with the same proplem.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, make that 4 for the week........tried to calibrate it yesterday morning and it got so goofy, got to a point where the feeder wouldn't go up or down! Called the dealer and replaced the pot and seems to work ok now! GOTTA LOVE THESES ELECTRONICS!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just a side note it may not apply to your problem but when going through the head calibration, the book says you can exit any time by cycling the reel switch, that's not exactly the case, if you don't go through the complete calibration you have to go at least as far as the concave zeroing before you can exit.

Example: If you go into calibration to change from standard head control to auto, if you exit right after you switch to auto it will not enter it, you have to go at least to concave step before you exit then it will remember the inputs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2188. Worked great last year. Now trying to get header height display to work at all . . . it constantly reads 100. I put in a new pot, have followed the calibration procedures and have tried to reset the header height display as per the book instructions. Can't change the constant 100 on the header height display. When the pot is unplugged, I get a "hdr 50" and flashing yellow header light. I believe this indicates the wiring is good (no mouse damage over winter). Also as a side note, I believe my yield monitor/mapping/gps electronics gets its info from the combine. Thus, no mapping/yield monitoring because the head is "up". Any suggestions on where to troubleshoot from here?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont believe I have ever seen more than 60 for all the way up on header height. Did you replace the Pot or the entire housing and pot? If it is an old housing check to make sure linkage is actually turning pot. I have seen them sieze up. My boss faught one where the lever was rotating around the siezed pin. He couldn't figure out why the voltage wouldnt change when adjusting.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I haven't run a 2188/2388 for a few years. I think there can be confusion between the pot on the feeder house and the pots on automatic header control.

The pot on the feeder house is what gives the number reading on the A post, correct?

You can also get error codes in the A post from having bad or out of cal pots on the header control, correct?

·
Registered
282 Posts
The pot on left side of feeder is header height and it is the value on A post. The pot on the right is return to cut or auto header height and I think that one works backwards from the feeder pot so check p/n carefully. Also what isnt in operators manual is when caibrating when feeder calibrates all the way down you are supposed to check voltage and adjust the pot. All the way down is 0.7 volts dc. All the way up is around 4.0 volts. The 0.7 is the important one. Make a pig tale or remove blue wire from connector (pot side) and check voltage from that wire to ground. DO NOT USE THE GROUND IN THE CONNECTOR it will not cal correct.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
To make sure everybody is on the same page... There are two header cal processes:

Quick CAL, which is the calibration that reads the sensors (if any) on the header itself. Hold lower for 2 seconds with the head on the ground etc.

Full CAL, which should be done with the head off and feeder over a ditch. This is the one that cals the feeder pot among other things.

As stated above, the Left feeder pot (RTC pot) is the one that controls RTC position and the #s in the corner post. It is a VERY common problem. The right one is the one that controls the yield monitor, etc. You need to set the pot so its working in the range. I'd guess the 100 reading is either a bad board in the display, OR you lost the ground to that pot (wiring problem). Measuring the voltage will tell you. If it sits at 5.0V and doesn't change, the "ground" wire is probably bad.

A tip: If you get a HDR S1 code while trying Quick CAL, switch the mode to RTC and see if that function works. If it doesn't, the Feeder pot is usually bad. Quick Cal will not work if the feeder pot is bad or misadjusted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts