The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new to this machine .used to be partners on a JD 9600. would i be better off with a draper ?strait?stripper? don't know much about the draper or stripper .maintenance ?expense? thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Can't comment on the stripper header. The draper will give you a capacity advantage over the straight head but it's more money to buy and maintain. Still, I wouldn't be without one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hello there saw your post and thought I would mention to you that I have a 972 30' MacDon draper head for sale. It has hydraulic fore and aft, split pickup reel, transport kit, and some other spare parts. The head is located in Wyoming but I will haul it to Goodland Ks at no extra charge. $17500.00 if you have any interest give Shawn a call at 307-851-1680.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not to sure on the draper but I can tell you that we run a 30 foot rigid head and can run as fast as the machine will take it in most of the time. If the wheat is to thick though, it will have problems feeding in and will start piling up on the feederhouse, something that a draper should help with. A draper is a lot heavier than the rigid and probably 3-4 times as expensive brand new.

Not sure if a stipper head would be a good choice unless you have fairly level ground. They require you to run as fast as you can to keep it full otherwise you will loose a lot of material before it enters the feederhouse. We do have a guy here that runs a shelbourne on a 2188 and seems to be doing good with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The draper is the way to go We use a flex 2162 because we also cut soys with it and it sure is nice to run on auto height the two biggest advantages over the 1020 are it's ability tofeed more into the combine esp in awned wheat or if the wheat is at all damp i was able to harvest wheat when the straw was wet at night. The other advantage is the increase in the combine capacity because you feed the crop in head first

·
Registered
728 Posts
We have a 1020 head for are 2366.
It is a great head mechanical but it could feed better I think that the draper would be the way to go.
I don't know anything about the stripper though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the advice.i am looking for a 960 30 foot . are the newer models better?972 etc i only farm 1500 acers so i would like to keep it under $10,000

·
Registered
156 Posts
We tried a stripper header several years ago and did not like it at all. They are pretty heavy and leave a lot of wheat on the ground. Cut a lot of wheat with the other two, prefer the draper but like someone else said auger type is cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts