The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Leavenworth Kansas close to Kansas City. In this area we normally pick corn from 18% moisture down. This year however we are picking around 20% or more and drying it in the bin because of the weather. I am very unexperienced in picking corn this wet. I have a 2188 with an 8 row head corn is yielding around 175 bu/acre. I have a short finger 1 5/8" chaffer and I know in corn the long figer is suggested but I cut a lot of beans and I feel short finger is better for that. I have the concave set on 3 and today I had to speed the rotor up to 500 rpm to get all the corn off the cob. I tried closing the concave down more at 450 rotor rpm but did not get all the corn off the cob and had more damage. I also have a lot more corn going over the chaffer at 4 mph sometimes even at 3.5 mph. If I open the chaffer any more I will take on to much tash in my hopper. Sould I expect more loss in higher moisture corn? If I slow down to much to not over load the sieve and chaffer will I not be keeping the combine full enough to preform properly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This was what worked for me in hm. Corn . Vanes in slow position,rotor 400-450,top screen 9/16 front,5/8 rear.lower screen 7/16 to1/2. Concave 3.5 fan1100-1150.vanes are a pain but worth the trouble. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts