The Combine Forum banner

2188 in wheat

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  combinekid 
A lot of people around here run 1 5/8 chaffer sieve for all crops unless you want to change sieves all the time. I don't like the job that a short finger sieve does in corn, beans is okay. I can't say for sure, but if you definitly do have sieve loss and you have the long finger chaffer, I would have to guess that you are over loading the cleaning system with mog. The drier the conditions, the more of a problem it can be. Merry Christmas to all !

Do you have both sets of straight bars on rotor? That can chew straw up a fair bit especially when it gets dry. I normally only run the front set for small grains. You probably could run with out straight bars on if you keep the keystocks, but if you go back to smooth grates you will likely have rotor loss again. I would probably keep one set on. I always found that it was really difficult to get rotor loss down real low with out having the keystocks in. If you are not concerned about straw quality, then I would leave them in. I know everybody has a different idea or way to go about setting a combine but I normally run two small wire concaves and one large at the back and then I have a couple cover plates so I can put one or two on if it is hard threshing early in the season. I like to run the concaves pretty tight, and then adjust the rotor speed to suit. Try to run it as slow as possible and still do a decent job. This will cut down on rotor loss because the crop has more time to seperate out and also the slower you run the rotor, the less you will chew the straw up. A tighter concave setting and slower rotor speed does take more power though. A short finger 1 1/8 chaffer will do a better job in grain, but if you do keep the long finger 1 5/8 you should keep the front section pretty well closed and the middle and back sections about half inch. A couple posts above it is mentioned that you should run concave as open as possible while still doing a good job. This can help with the mog problem, but higher rotor speeds will berequired to do the same job, and that can lead to rotor loss. That is not to say that it won't be the answer for you. Conditions and location play a role too, so you will have to spend a little time to find the right setup for you. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.