The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were having problems with losses with milo this year with our 2188. It seems like we've tried everything and cant get things under control. This is in 80 to 100 bushel dryland. I think the main place that we are loosing it is over the rotor. I've tried closing the concaves down quite a bit and tried slowing the rotor down and speeding it up and neither is seeming to make the losses any better. Slowing ground speed and picking it up isn't seeming to make much differnce. The best settings so far have been to have the rotor at about 600, fan about 1150 to 1200, chaffer about 9/16 and shoe about 3/8 and runnung around 3.5mph with a 30ft platform. Were running large wire concaves and keystock grates. What setting and are you getting the best results with?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I finally got my long shoe 1680 figured out. I'm running the rotor about 450, the top sieve front 1/4, middle 3/8, back at 1/2, the bottom sieve at 5/16, the fan at 1100 and the concave at 3. I'm cutting dry land milo making 120 bpa.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
What position are the vanes in? We've currently got the vanes over the concaves in Medium, and those over the grates in Slow. We put them like that in corn to try to reduce rotor losses and just left it for milo and flowers.

We've got some stubble that looks like it made 80-100...

·
Registered
352 Posts
we were kinda having the same problem but all we did was drive faster we were going 3.0-3.5 and were getting some loss but when we sped up to around 4 it went away and the milo was making around 145 bpa

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vanes are in the middle position over the concaves and the grates. We'll have to try moving the vanes to the slow position over the grates when it dries back out again. We got just enough drizzle and a dusting of snow yesterday to keep up out of the field for awhile again.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Your settings sound good. I second slowing the vanes down over the grates and as a last resort putting a set of straight bars on the rotor

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah, we were pretty disapointed that the little bit of moisture came that we got. Really wanted to try and get this milo out before it starts to fall over. I hear yah on that wind stuff, glad we got our crappy flowers cut early this year. A friend of ours was trying to cut flowers yesterday when it started to drizzle, moisture was fine but he wasn't really sure about being able to hit the truck either.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Drizzle and snow, huh? I didn't know there would be any moisture in this system that blew through. All we got was 35-45mph winds. Makes it hard to harvest flowers when you can't get the grain into the truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts