The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can stand one more question from me, hear me out. Question is, any of you that have spent some time in a 2188 and then have moved up to an early years (2000) 2388, other than the horsepower increase, is there much difference between the 2 models?

Have the opportunity to buy one or the other here in the next few weeks. The 21 should be dollars cheaper but if the 23 warrants more bang for your buck, I'll go that way.

Thanks for reading and I'll look for your replies.

·
Registered
88 Posts
First I would visit Hoober's and look at the changes by model year to decide what is important to you.

http://www.hoober.com/ag/axial_flow_history.asp

It might also matter what type of rotor they have in them (Std/Spec/Rochelle/AFX) whether or not they have a chopper or beater, two speed hydro, Field Tracker etc. etc.

In my opinion a 2188 would be just fine, a 97 being the most preferable, but it all depends on the difference in $.

We run 2 2188's and lease a 3rd 2388 during wheat harvest. The 2188 can be turned up to the 2388 horsepower in about 30 seconds. Our 21's will cut right along with a 23 except a 23 with an AFX has a small advantage in tough conditions. The only real noticeable difference in the cab is the tailings volume monitor, and the climate control on 23s.

Performance wise (in my opinion) the only real boost to the 23s came from the AFX rotor which can be installed in a 21 if need be.

Larger fuel tank in 01 and newer is nice for long days.

I don't care for the belt engage in the 02's and on. You have to put the throttle up just past the middle detent to keep it from dying when you engage the rotor, whereas the clutch on the earlier ones engages smoothly at an idle. The clutch is less tolerant of clearing a rotor slug though, which I think is why they changed.

Any other questions let me know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts