The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to move to my final 232 acre corn field, so was doing some maintenance on my 2188 before I take a 20 mile road trip. I noticed a little fluid had been running down the side of the combine. I climbed the ladder and could see where some had run on the floor and dripped out and down the side. I removed a couple of the covers on the right hand side of the motor, and sure enough, it was coolant, some had blown on the inside of the panels. I looked but couldnt really tell where it was coming from, I thought it was a radiator hose, but couldnt find any leaks. Radiator was full to the top, and overflow reservoir was at the appropriate level when cold. It looked as if it could be coming from up along the block, behind the pulleys,(just from the wetness I could see down below). On a John Deere tractor/combine, I could tell you where the water pump was, as I have replaced a few in my lifetime on my tractors. If I remember right, coolant would start coming out the "weep hole", and you knew you should be looking to replace the water pump in the near future. ON this 2188, I'm not seeing what I think is a water pump. Any ideas or diagrams to point me in the right direction? Or any ideas on what is leaking, and is it an immediate "stop and fix" item, or could I possibly finish my 200 acres of corn?
thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My neighbor had one they took off of theirs, thinking that would solve their overheating problem last summer, but it didn't fix it. Anyway, his old one is still good, so I thought I might put it on in the morning. Save me a 120 mile round trip for a new one in Wichita! I will have to re-use the old O-Ring unless I can find one in my assortment in the shop that would fit. Question, will I lose much coolant when I remove the water pump?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took off the old waterpump, bearing was pretty loose, so it wouldnt have lasted much longer. Pretty easy repair, just had to wait a bit for son to bring new water pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts