The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to post this after completion of wheat harvest a few weeks ago, but first time I have had a chance. During wheat harvest, it seemed like our 2188 just did not have enough power, couldnt really push it in heavy wheat, like I remember in the past. During one of the rain events, I had a person come down and run an overhead on the motor. He agreed, the valves needed adjustment. That seemed to help a bit, but not what I had hoped for. This spring in C/IH maintenance, new vanes were installed. I'm just wondering if the new "tightness" in the threshing area, would be what I perceive as lack of power? I know traditionally, the 2188's were underpowered compared to the 2388's, but I remember in the past, it performing better than it has, so far this summer.

I'm wondering if I possibly need to have the injector pump checked? Thanks for any ideas.
Jim

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats that? It is currently at Straub shop in Wichita, getting them to complete their "winter maintenance" that they didnt get done prior to my wheat harvest!
I know the mechanic well, so I can make suggestions to him, if necessary?)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
vacuum canister,attached to turbo, one other thing have your tech check return fitting on back of pump, next to engine, there has been two or three updates, scott.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jim, I would guess that you have changed both the final fuel filter AND the water separator? Mine got to running $hitty the last day of harvest.........had a final fuel filter on hand, stuck it on an it didn't make one bit of difference. Went the next morning to Straubs and got a water separator filter and it made a new machine out of it! That water filter seems to be VERY important, more so than the final filter.

Keep us posted
Larry

Ps: better have that machine up and running when you go cut the Sunflowers............and get the good out of the 3 to 4 thousand dollar Sunflower pans....LOL I sure didn't realize that they were that expensive. If you were closer, I'd rent you my row head.....thats what I used the 2 and only 2 years I tried Flowers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you get a surging of power and the fuel/water separator doesn't fix it make sure you don't have water in the bottom of the fuel tank. That year fuel was $5 a gallon my local COOP sold me a LOT of expensive water. took 4 hrs to clean the tank after draining it and running through 3 water separator filters.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just a though, if you have the 3 inch cut on your 1020, lock it in the up position and maybe try some milo guards? I don't know if it would work but would be alot cheaper than pans.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have noticed that problem the last two years during soybean harvest. The first year I replaced the water separator filter and it took care of it. The second year I replaced the same filter and the air filter for the engine. That seemed to take care of it. Its hard for me to believe that you can't put 200 hours on a water separator filter, but that seems to be my problem.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked with my mechanic at Straub today, to express my power concerns. He already had found the problem,,,,,,,a hole in the wastegate. Said it would be like driving without a turbo, no boost,,,,said no wonder it ran sick. Told me it was the original, still had red paint, new ones are not painted red. So, hopefully, that will fix my power problem. Should be ready to go today or tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.
Jim

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thats good to hear Jim. I would think it would be a "sick horse" with a hole in the wast gate. You'll be running circles around your neighbors green machines now! Keep us posted when you go to the field.

Larry

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd feel better with my upcoming fall harvest, if you guys up north would quit "hogging" all the moisture!(lol) You are probably too wet and we are getting too dry!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll send the excess your way Jim. I only got 1.20 out of the storm last Monday evening. North of Salina 40 or 50 miles, heard they got 5 to 6 inches. That I would call excess!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trouble with the water seperator is that it is more of a fuel filter with a water trap, I always had problems with them on our 1460's and always kept one in the cab. Wondering where in the wastegate did you get a hole ?

·
Registered
998 Posts
A lot of the time a check of the injectors, quick tappet adjustment, clean fuel filters and air filters works wonders. How often are people on this forum checking their injectors and tappets?
Good to hear they found the problem with the wastegate. Hope it was the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts