The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 2188 that to me never seems to have much lugging power. I was talking to a fella that runs a fuel pump shop and he told me that all 2188 are like that and it is because Case put to heavy spring on the governor and he could fix it by changing the spring. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on that idea

thank you for any replies
Don

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Not sure what you mean by lugging power, but on my navistar powered machine with the bosch MW pump, I was able to adjust the gov. spring, not change the spring itself. Maybe that can be done on yours too. ? I was'nt after "lugging" power though, i had the pump worked on and they set it for a truck engine, so it would pull down too many rpms before the gov. would start to hold. Is that what yours is doing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just my opinion but I would pull the pump and let the pump shop put it on their stand. Did that to my 9 year old pump & they found several things that needed tweeking or replaced & turned the pump to the top of cummings specs for that motor. It didn't run like that when it was brand new! For the first time unloading on the go did not slow me or the machine down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my rpm will pull down very easy and if they drop below 2300 you better slow right down because it will never recover. unloading on the go would cut your speed in half. If I was doing wheat with a 25 foot header, I would be going 3 to 3.5 when I unloaded I would be down to 1.8 to 2. I try to keep my rpms around 2330 when i combine and my high idle is a little above 2500 I just feel the engine is a bit doggy

Hope this explains it a little better
Don

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree replace the wastegate actuator. Before installing it set it to the same length as the old one then tighten it about 5 more turns(shorten the rod). While your at it the 97 had the mechanical pump, turn the fuel screw in about a half turn. You will have a whole different machine...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas guys, but I have been looking all around the turbo and engine compartment and I can't identify the wastegate actuator. Could someone help me with that?

Don

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi

If your machine has a waste gate on it ,it will have what looks like a small vacuum cannister on the turbo with a small hose/pipe that leads to the intake. The pipe will connect to the intake close to rear of the inj pump.Will connect into a T where the aneroid line from the inj pump connects also.

Maxie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts