The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 1997 2188 a few years ago, think it had 2764 engine hours on it. It presently has a little over 3800 engine hours on it. What little wheat we have been able to harvest this year(due to the weather), it seems the combine is lugging a bit, little low on power. We've changed all the fuel filters, but that didnt help. Someone asked me if I knew if it had an overhead done on it, in its past. I have no idea. Questions.
(1) Is there a "set" number of engine hours when you guys normally expect to do an engine overhead?

(2) Would "any" Case/IH dealership be able to look up past service history, if I supplied the combine serial number?

I was reading an old post by "BIg A", detailing how to turn up the pump a bit, plus adjust the waste gate. Was thinking of doing that procedure, but don't know if it has been done in the past.
thanks,
jim

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
set valves, injectors rebuild, pump ya gitting close, if waste gate doesn't work will fall on there nose, scott.

·
Registered
36 Posts
we ran overheads on our trucks once a year or roughly every 75,000 miles or so after they passed 150-200k. thats roughly the same as 1500 hrs on equipment give or take.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
farminflyboy> Didnt notice anymore noise than usual in Hydro, but it has been 6 months since I have been in the combine, so can't remember, what is "normal"(lol)

Anyway, had a cummins guy come down this morning and run an overhead on it, I asked him if the valves were out of adjustment a bit,,he told me "quite a bit", will have to wait for quite a few days to see if I notice a differance, as the 5" of rain we had recently will need to dry a bit.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jim, hope that solves your problem. Keep me posted if it helps. I don't have a power problem yet but I only have 3450 engine hours on mine. Hope it drys up for the both of us. I'm thinking I won't be able to go until Monday, although I know someone will try it before then. I just cringe to abuse a machine in the mud............did enough of that last Fall!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Jim, did you get going yet? I got started this afternoon and found the ground to be solid enough to carry a full hoppertop bin. The wheat is running about like yours, high 40's and moisture is 11.5%. Binned some seed wheat today.

Larry

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, we've been cutting since Thursday(surprisingly), with no mud problems at all! This notil ground normally lets you get on the ground sooner than my conventional till neighbors. I think the valve adjustment, may have helped a little, but still seems as if is short on power. Could be the green weeds we are feeding it also!(lol) With a little luck, and no breakdowns could see the end of the tunnel about this time next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts