The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 1997 2188. It is a 4x4 machine, with front duals, and the listing on the internet states "standard" as far as rear axle goes. I have noticed other 2188's listed with a "heavy duty" listing on the rear axle. I know I have heard the earlier International combines had trouble with weak rear axles, but thought they had fixed that on later models. Should this be a concern of mine, with this particular machine I am looking at? I thought all 4x4 machines had heavy duty axles on them? I also thought I read somewhere that the machines with duals had the heavier rear axles? I have asked the dealer about the axle, I have talked to him about other aspects of the machine, perhaps it is just not listed correctly. Have any opinions?
thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Only axle problems ive ever heard about (im kinda young) were when people tried to pull something out with the combine.

Just remember that axle is built to go one direction..forward..

·
Registered
620 Posts
The center section of the rear axle on 2wd and 4wd combines were made heavier on the 2388's when the larger poly fuel tank was installed, I think since 2002. I believe the center sections were the same on all 2188's.
The HD rear axle option on 2188's refer to the 2wd versions only, the outer axle sections (king pins,castings,wheel hubs, etc) were much heavier.
Various improvements were made to the axle center sections depending on the production year since the 1400 series and continue on today.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts