The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just looking for help here. I have a 2188 combine. Works fine after the first tank of the day. But during that first tank load the rotor speed will drop as well as the fan speed. Engine Rpms stay up. After about 3-5 mins of backing in and out the crop it will seem to warm up and go on working perfectly fine the whole day never doing this again. I have changed the PTO fluid and filter. Put a new solenoid on that block on top the PTO. Also the clutches were done 5-6 years ago but whether correctly I don't know. This problem as been on going for several years. If it was clutches going bad, they should be toast by now??? I know when this issue is going on, the seperator will be very very slow to engage. After the first tank load the seperator grabs and engages like it should.

Any ideas?? Tried about everything with no luck. Hate to redo clutches again and that's not the problem. Case mechanics are not cheap!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I may also add that this problem usually happened when temps got cooler outside. But now it seems to do it even during wheat and corn harvest. Only again about 4-5 mins into cutting the first tank load. Works fine for 4-5 mins then will act up

· Registered
5,168 Posts
I would think a place to look is that 3 band belt that drives the seperator for slipping. Possible that the belt slips enough and warms up and gets a bit tacky then it grips fully. Belt stretched, wore down, pulleys worn, tensioner not tight enough.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a update but still doing this. Replaced rotor belt just for heck of it. But first cutting until about 15 mins in rotor and fan slows. You can feel it slowing so I back out and then go again... repeat over and over for 10-15 mins. Then once warm everything works flawless!

If it's the clutches In PTO wouldn't those slip and just be toast? Changed the PTO fluid and filter but nothing seemed dirty or smelled burnt.

This problem will drive me crazy..... Also put new tension spring for the seperator belt on also.

Only thing I can think of left would be the PTO itself or the clutches...

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would those cause it to slip first tank then go on working just fine after all is warmed up? Been doing it for years. Just been dealing with it since it goes on working fine. Definitely worse when the temps get cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts