The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to block the rotor on a 10yr old 2188 while trying to harvest a wet wheat crop in the UK, probably not helped by taking in a lump of wood. Having unblocked the rotor it became evident there were problems in the gearbox and on investigation discovered the teeth on the gears had stripped and a new box was fitted.
I would dearly like to know if this has happened to any other 2188 operators as this would help fight an insurance claim.
Thanks in advance.
Rob

·
Registered
255 Posts
here in SW Louisiana with Rice as a hard crop to thrash, haven't heard of any shearing teeth I've seen some burnt from lose of oil, but will check with teck, If mine ever gose out or I find a good deal on a 2388 gear box with all the linkage I'll sure put that in with the extra low gear.
PS no rotor damage from the slug of wood?

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I lost the low gear on a 99 2388. In the gearbox, low gear has a big and small gear meshing. The small gear couldn't stand the pressure and stripped. We frequently had to add oil because the fill tube was seaping oil out. We got a very good gearbox from Cooks tractor in Clinton MO. We run 85-140 in the rebuilt case. Is that wrong to do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Matt. No damage was evident to rotor or grates, just a few chewed pieces of timber and stuffed full of wet straw. Rotor box had new oil this season and has never shown signs of leaking and was full when dismantled. Managed to replace with a new (old stock) 2 spd box, maybe I should have gone for the 3 spd 2388 type, but we're not dealing with rice.
Re gear ratios, seedcleaner, I dont know and hope an expert can advise you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts