The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a sodden harvest in UK, I have committed to changing all rubber bushes and fit new rails to the the top chaffer sieve on a 2188, any tips re spacers between bushes and rails and any tips on timing, which I've seen mentioned previously on this board. UK is suffering worst harvest weather since records began and the old girl is suffering as a result. To add to all this the spares situation is not working here in the UK, all parts either in France, Germany or over in US but not here.
Thanks in anticipation

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
Is there any chance you can get aftermarket loewen (A&I products) rails? They are cheaper and stronger than stock case rails. Make sure that you tighten everything up when its centred in the stroke (not at either end) and that you put all the washers that come out back in the same places.

·
Registered
255 Posts
their's a supplemental on bushing replacement mainly on instillation of bushing placement, also there is a tool used to time the rails takes a little time but is well worth it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Matt and Andy. All bushes replaced and washers back as they came out. But still a horrible clunk at either end of the stroke when turning over by hand. Seems to me I have excessive wear at the point where Frying pans engage on hex shaft with key ways (prick in a shirt sleeve, best way of describing clearances) So now waiting on new shaft and frying pan internals and as usual they are not in UK and have failed to turn up from France as promised.

Still raining here in UK with flooding forecast for tomorrow, So UK grain farmers not a happy bunch of bunnies at the moment, especially as there is a heavy crop out there to be had. So far yields running at or near to 4 ton/acre or 10 tonnes /hectare (new fangled european units)

I would have tried getting some Loewen rails shipped over this winter if the old girl would have kept going but not available directly in UK and needs must. As for the supplemental, where can I get my hands on this?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dealer should have a copy ask your shop tec, I have a copy will try to figure a way to get it to you, it shows at what depth to install each bushing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Matt. we measured them as we pressed them out and pressed in new ones to the same measurement. local dealer has one combine tec off sick, the other on holiday but stores man is an ex spanner man on the combines and is being more than helpful when he's not being confronted by a queue of irate customers due to afore mentioned spares situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Andys suggestion about tightening in middle of stroke very important !!!!! Bushing does not need to absorb as much twist that way, Very important!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Matt. Here's me moaning about weather, but now I see where you are from and what you are dealing with I will shut up. Hope G didnt cause you too much trouble. Fax or email would work. email: [email protected]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here in Eunice we had minimal damage most people had power within 48hrs, had all my rice harvested a few days before beans look ok starting to drop leafs 2-3wks till harvest, looking @ Ike now doesn't look good, have family in Baton Rouge La. a week to 10 adys before they get power!we have our 2188 apart now working on vanes,AFX impelers,Bed augers,clean & return troughs, return elevator and bed auger drive gears an hex shaft!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad things weren't as bad as predicted with Gustav and hope Ike goes by without too much damage. My 2188 sitting in shed with competely new cleaning system, rails, bushes, bearings on hex shaft and frying pans as well as bevels on bed augers. She runs sweet empty, just need a dry day or two to finish the wheats then a couple more for spring sown canola. God luck with the beans and thanks for advice.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah mine is in the shed waiting on a hex shaft had some wear at the brg placements, would have had one Sat but parts man didn't order Friday!will be in Tues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re hours. 2250 rotor hours. My machine is operating in UK, mainly harvesting wheat, as well as canola, dried peas and beans and does about 200+ rotor hours a year. I have a policy of replacing all rubber bushes every third year and this has provided me with trouble free harvesting until this year. It is dificult to determine where the problems started this year (3rd year in bush cycle) but one of the bearing housings that support the hex drive shaft broke up and this could have been due to excessive play where the hex shaft mates with the frying pan bearings, not sure. but the outcome seemed to be a chain reaction, flogging out most of the rubber bushes and cracking the top sieve rails, so with plenty of wet days I decided to replace the lot. this is actually the second lot of rails I've fitted the originals were breaking up around the welded bolt holes that support them, obviosly a weak point for there to be a stronger after market part available from Loewen, which I would have dearly liked to have used had they been readily available over here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
redrobbouk that sound's like a good cycle, squaring the shaker is a must it keeps both arms in time so the shaker pans not working crooked

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your vote of confidence. Our latest problem has been overloading the returns and clean grain elevators by trying to cut wheat at 25% moisture content (sodden) but it's become a salvage operation rather than a normal harvest. Now the grain drier has decided break down with parts availability again being the problem - oh the joys of modern electronics!
I hope Ike is keeping out of your way.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well they say Ike is headed south of us but we will get some rain an wind what's new, got the 2188 hex shaft in shakers are squared neat little tool waiting for some bolts for the rice knife to come in tomorrow an that's it, back stacking rice will make room @ the bins for the beans hold on to them for a better basis, then 2nd crop rice is last, still farmers here and north of us trying to salvage what they can some have nothing, heard from the grape vine farmers here can go apply for unemployment benefits for the 1-3 days they couldn't work HOW BOUT DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PS I wonder what formula they'll use to figure that payment with?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Do you have the updated bearing setup for the conveyor augers? If you still have the wood blocks, you may have a chatter that is causing the harmonic that cracked out that bearing mount. Check those bearings on the front of the conveyor augers and see if they are dry and dusty. Also check the bevel gears and upper bearings. I keep thinking you must have a harmonic cycle somewhere to break out that bearing mount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Doorknob, fitted new wooden blocks on augers as part of last winters service, but will check them again, no chance of them being dry and dusty more likely clogged with mud. Replaced all bevels but not upper bearings in the rcent overhaul, bearings seemed ok. What is the updated bearing setup? Good luck with it all, Matt. Might have to come to you for hints on rice production as most of our fields looking like paddy fields now.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
There is a sealed ball bearing and race "kit" to replace those wood blocks.

Have you owned this machine since new? Or do you know if it was the high speed shaker system, and for sure if it has had the reduced speed kit installed? There was a short time that cih put a smaller pulley on the shaker drive on the 2188s and I think a few on one other model, to speed the system up and found out it increased broken parts more than increased capacity so they offered a reduced speed kit to bring it back to the orignal speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts