The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission in my 2188 is taking on oil. Is it the hydrostat seal leaking or could it be the hydralic brakes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem in a 2388. Loosing hydralic oil and gaining transmission oil. Changed the hydro seal, but not fixed yet. Andy, the seal you are talking about is the one right there when you split they hydro off the transmission, right? What else could it be?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have only had this machine for two harvests and the former owner said he rebuilt the hydro. If this is true I was leaning toward the brakes. I think the trans. has always gained a little oil ever since I have had it. Is there a way I can test the brakes to see if that is the problem? Will it get dramaticly worse or just keep on doing it gradually?

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it slowly gains oil you could probley run it, but it will send oil out the breather tube and get oil on the shifting linkage and make it impossible to get into 2nd or 3rd gear unless you take it apart and clean it.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hi

Just drain the oil every morning,keep tabs on it.
If it gets to be too much oil then stop and fix it .

We have taken some machines and gutted the brakes and plugged the lines because the customers didn't want to take time to fix them right then.

Then later on rebuild the brakes and put them back together right.

Will have to remember that you will have no brakes till repairs are made.

Maxie

·
Registered
998 Posts
Usually you just drain the excess oil out of the trans level plug until it gets too bad - then do something about it. As the above posts have stated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone on here know how to fix the problem??? Seems like everyone just drains the oil off, but gets rather old after doing it for a year. I'd like to just fix the problem so I don't have to worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts