The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2188 (2150 sep hrs), which we are servicing for the upcoming harvest.
Today did the top 2 bearings, sprocket, and shaft on the clean grain elevator, but decided to use the existing elevator chain.
The rubber paddles are cupped back somewhat, just as you would expect. We installed the elevator chain with the paddles cupped forward instead. Essentially running the chain the other way to scoop grain better. We can't see why this won't work, but we are not sure?
Is this a bad idea?
We could get a new chain, but it will be another $500.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome?
I'm new to this site, but like it so far!
Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
998 Posts
Welcome to the forum Don. In my eyes it would be silly to put the old chain back in when you have replaced the drive sprocket. If the chain is worn (which is likely if the sprocket was worn out) you will have premature wear of the sprocket. General rule of thumb - if you replace the sprocket - you replace the chain and vice versa. Works for the feeder and repeats too. Someone else on here may have a different opinion, but that's mine.

·
Premium Member
5,768 Posts
Are you having issues with it not moving the grain fast enough (slip clutch going, elevator plugging). If not, I don't know why you would want to even switch it around.

2 years ago I put in new sprockets on both elevators and put the old chains back in on a TR. No issues yet. Done it before with feeder chains as well. Although I think its a good rule of thumb for roller chains, I don't think its crucial for elevator style chains with the large gaps. The sprockets won't hook out like a roller chain sprocket with old chain because the tolerances aren't nearly as tight.

You can also repaddle your chain if it is an option. The way the paddles attach to the chain is where you may get an issue. They are attached so that they don't fold back when full, and I think they might do that if they were turned around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts