The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the water pump on a 2188 the same as the fan shaft or is it some place else? I have antifreeze running down the front of my engine so I guess it is coming from the water pump.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
The water pump is near the alternator. Very easy to replace. It should be on the pulley without grooves for the belt if memory serves me correct. Three 8 or 10mm bolts hold it on. When my pump went out, it locked up, burned the belt, and slung antifreeze everywhere. The new waterpump had a seephole I believe to prevent antifreeze from slinging elsewhere. Verify that it sure is the waterpump. It could be a hose or thermostat housing. I have had a seepy head gasket for years that I finally fixed a month ago. It got so bad that I had antifreeze running down the block overnight. Goodluck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Assuming it is the same as our 2166.... our 9230 Steiger and 2166 are the same, so I'm guessing all 8.3 are.

Very easy to change, just three bolts which can be accessed without any other disassembly, just reaching around from the rear. Draining the radiator was the longest part of the job. All said and done it was about 1/2hr from first cracking open the radiator drain to having it topped up and combining again.

They are very cheap too, I think the last one cost about $80, you might as well just do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts