The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WE have 2188 that seems to be draining the batteries
It was good until in January I tried to start it and was not successful but not to the fault of a dead battery. every sense the battery seems to go down even after charging it seems like something didn't shut off when it failed to start.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Try unhooking the alternator and see if the batteries stay charged. Often a shorted alternator will cause a short and drain the batteries. The alternator can still charge somewhat ok, but there is a short internally and since there is a direct line to the batteries, it can draw them dead. Once you run the engine for a while, shut it off and unhook the batteries, then unhook the main wire from the alternator and rehook the batteries.

I think it is the "diode" that is a one way current valve. If it goes bad, the power can travel backwards through it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
good point doorknob, also open the battery box and see if the terminal that connects the two batteries is shorting against the box, my arched there a couple of times so i electrical taped it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll try the alternater idea I also thoght of the moistur sensor on the yield monitor we had trouble as we got done as the return auger would not run if that is full of chaff the sensor will be putting curent to the motor. might be a long shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts