The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the differance between the two heads. I am not a Case person but was looking at one to purchase to put on another color of combine. Also who makes adapter kits red to green.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but a 2208 is for the 23xx, 21xx, 16xx combines and the 2408 is for the 8010 so the 2408 would have a wider opening for the feederhouse. Can't help you on the adapters.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I sure would like it if they figured out how to make a good corn head

ive heard some gripes about the new type

personally we get along just great with our 1083 corn heads that are a 83 and 84 model

we would like to trade up to get something a lil less maintence or alot

usually corn makes anywhere from 80-180 ish...
just depends on the year.....

so i doubt we would have any trouble like some of you guys in northern ill and so forth..

·
Registered
929 Posts
Either one will mount on a 23xx or 70-8010 with the right adapters. The only real difference is the 2200 series has a two speed gear box while the 2400 only has a single speed drive b/c the 70-8010's have variable speed header drives.

So in short they will work on either style machine but the 2200 made for the 23xx and the 2400 series was designed to go the 70-8010 style combines.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The 2400 series fits the newer 70-8010 series combines. The rear frame is different and as mentioned is a one speed head with 20 spline drive shafts. The auger trough is stainless steel and has the single electrical and hydraulic connections as well.
The 2200 series are made to fit the 16xx-21xx-23xx and 25xx combines with the two speed box and hex drive shafts. A 2200 series corn head can be converted to fit a 7010-8010 with a package from Case-IH but a 2400 series has no conversion packages available from Case-IH to go to a 16xx to 25xx series. Both headers us the same row units and poly snouts.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
dad asked a question maybe someone here could answer

do these hook up on both drive shafts on the side of the combine or just one side...like the old 4 and 6 row's did?

just curious

·
Registered
1 Posts
2208 vs 1083 and 3408

I am looking at purchasing up from a 1083 corn head , what is anyones perspective on the 2208? I heard to avoid that head, anyone know why? I was told to go up to the 3408 head but its a big price jump for me, can anyone give me suggestions please

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was told same thing to stay away from 22series. And all I remember them saying was gear boxes were pron to fail. Like said earlier pretty big price jump so are 1063 got an overhaul.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been running a 2208 head since 2011 with no problems at all on a 7088 and a 7230. That head can run on any combine with the right adapter on it. It has field tracker and hyd deck plates as well. I did loose a scroll on the end of one the snapping rolls once. Ran 2 days without it till a new one came in.Some of those heads had knife rolls and some fluted. Mine has fluted rolls and chews the stalk as well as the knife rolls do. In short don't be afraid of one.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would suggest you start by thinking about what you need on a head in your area. Knife rolls? Chopping? Fluted crimping rolls? Each style tends to fit best with certain growing conditions and style of farming. What is commonly used? Do you need adjustable deck plates, or is your ground (and stalks) uniform? Then go find a good solid head with those features. I don't think newer heads necessarily do a better job!

Around me, Most of the farmers I've talked to with a 200 series wished they had the old style head back. What I hear is they are built lighter, tend to break down, and fold snoots up all the time. One neighbor who had two got so disgusted he went and bought Geringhoffs. There are a lot of CIH guys putting JD heads on IH combines, FWIW.

BTW--if your want AHHC, the two heads listed need totally different wiring harnesses depending on which combine they are on. Strongly recommend you find the right head for your combine, it will save you time and money switching it over.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
So basically the 2000 series all have the same row units and poly tin, and so 2200 is for heritage machines, and 2400 is for Flagship machines? Are these two based off an IH design, or is this the new holland header?

So where does the 2600 series come into play? what is the same? what is different?

Also, if you dont mind me asking (I hope this wont de-rail the thread) how are the 3000 series in comparison? I thought I heard rumblings of guys not liking them and either waiting for the 4000 series, or getting a kit from Clarke to make their own 1000 series header to fit a flagship and trying to skip the 3000 entirely.

Any info appreciated, I need to get educated on IH cornheads, have had a few buddies ask about getting a 8 row, and they know about as much as I do and we all need to know which is good or bad. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 2200 is a non chopping head and the 2400 is a chopping head. Either head can be made to fit flagship or heritage, just different shafts, wiring, adapter plate.

2000 series head are just a NH head in a different skirt.

My experience with the 3000 series is disappointing. Won't feed when stalks are tacky and ridiculous amount of head shelling. Given the two choices I would go 2000 series.

I went to Drago, and have been pleased.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
So basically the 2000 series all have the same row units and poly tin, and so 2200 is for heritage machines, and 2400 is for Flagship machines? Are these two based off an IH design, or is this the new holland header?

Any info appreciated, I need to get educated on IH cornheads, have had a few buddies ask about getting a 8 row, and they know about as much as I do and we all need to know which is good or bad. :)
Yes, the 2000 series header is the NH head in red paint. All the same basic head, just wired or setup for the different combines.
Drago sells a ton of heads for red combines. Geringhoff Ditto. Clarke machine, ditto. Bish sells a lot of JD head to CIH conversions. Need I say more? I'm also sure there are guys out there who have and love the 2000 series headers. Who knows!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
We have a buddy that had a 2208, and a 1183 MF adapted on. He was running two near identical 1680s. somehow the one with the MF header had more corn in the tank than the one with the 2208 after a round.

He then sold the 1183 and bought another 2208.... and doesn't like 1000 series headers.... He is a smart guy, but I have yet to figure this out... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts