The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2290 case tractor with 4000 engine hours. Noticed today while idling, or even revved up in yard, that if your at the back of the tractor you can hear a steady noise. Kind of sounds like a bit of steady cavitation? It’s not really a loud whine, and not a grinding sound. Has anyone noticed a 90 series case doing this normally? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Turn the PTO on, or put a load on the PTO and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turn the PTO on, or put a load on the PTO and see if it goes away.
Hey, pto turned on and under load still makes the sound. Sounds almost like it’s from the side of the frame by the driver side rear tire. Just a steady kind of ticking sound coming from the rear end. All the lines are not moving or slapping around. If I put my hand on the lines underneath. Nothing vibrates or feels like it has oil surging through it

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dave here----you may have a spline or a key searing on your hydraulic pump drive that pump on the left side is shaft driven I have seen this shaft striped drives off two small gears that make a 90 degree turn to the side you can pull this all up if you go to C I H parts store on the web and print it out I have also seen the brass bushing in the top pto shaft get rough and could cause you wine it turns all the time the pto is hydraulic engaged I have a 2290 apart in my shop now putting a pinion in I can lay my hands on these parts right now---------------------------dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave here----you may have a spline or a key searing on your hydraulic pump drive that pump on the left side is shaft driven I have seen this shaft striped drives off two small gears that make a 90 degree turn to the side you can pull this all up if you go to C I H parts store on the web and print it out I have also seen the brass bushing in the top pto shaft get rough and could cause you wine it turns all the time the pto is hydraulic engaged I have a 2290 apart in my shop now putting a pinion in I can lay my hands on these parts right now---------------------------dave
Did you have any issues causing you to replace yours. Like no hydraulics? No pto? Not being able to drive tractor etc, or just replacing to stop the noise?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Is it a powershift? If so the noise could mean the transmission is going out. The 90 series powershifts were usually done by 5000 hrs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it a powershift? If so the noise could mean the transmission is going out. The 90 series powershifts were usually done by 5000 hrs.
Yes. Powershift. Shifts nice and about the smoothest I’ve ever seen a case tractor shift. The tractor will spend its life running an auger or vac in home yard. We have unloaded 3 trucks since bringing it home and
The good things
-powershift shifts nice
-engine seems to run nice
-pto works good engages disengages

The off things
-steering is stiffer than most tractors I’ve drove
-rattle sound from rear end. Not loud but just constant
-at 1800 rpm stationary pto work. The cab seems to shake quite a bit. (Rest of tractor does not) 1600 rpm no shake

It looks like the big cover with pto has been resealed, and the pto has a new seal on it also.
Pump looking thing on the driver rear side by tire is blue and not factory colours like it’s been changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts