The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with the concave plugging with trash in corn (220 bu/A @24%) and getting rotor loss. running the rotor at 370 rpm and at 4 on the concave. any ideas???

·
Registered
211 Posts
Harvest Services also make good round bar concaves for the case ih rotary combines. I have always found in our area that if you have wires pulled out of concaves and straight bars on rotor, it is pretty hard to throw corn out the rotor, I will run out of power first. That is on a 2166 in 150 to 220 bpa corn.

·
Registered
111 Posts
WE have pulled every other wire out the concaves on our 2388, rotor is an AFX with 8 straight bars, and we have had the vanes in the middle & retard positins & still are having trouble with rotor loss as well as had problems with concave plugging in fields that had a fungicide sprayed on them.

CIH service manager was at a loss as what to do. I posted a similiar question on another forum & had a couple suggest the round bar concaves. Also got an e-mail from a friend that is a test engineer with CIH who recomended the round bars as well. After contacing CIH & sveral other dealers service manager is now recomending the round bar concaves as well.

Looks like the round bars are about $1,000 each. Hate to spend that much money on the machine after all we have already spent on it but with about 1,200 acres of corn still to shell if they save 1 bpa they will easily pay for themselves this year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had them in my 2388 last year in first and second position. I put all the vanes in slow position. I took some of the wires out of the first section round bar concave also. I got in some 240bpa corn and had almost 0 rotor loss.

The 2388 had Incredibly better performance than my 7010 that is in lower yielding corm and going slower.

I like the color monitor. Case should put some video games on it so when I am waiting for trucks or the grain cart I don;t get out and check for rotor loss.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Put some round bar concaves from Case in it. They do not plug up.

If you don't want to spend the money for them than pull every other wire out of all the 3 concaves. Set the bottom sieve fairly open and turn up the fan speed. Set the top sieve to filter out the cobs. Keep the concave fairly tight and slow the rotor to remove the very small pieces of cobs from the sample. If your concave indicator is set correct than 4 is probably good but you could go even tighter and than adjust rotor speed. What I found is that you really need to get the thrashing done in the first section so that the remaining sections can separate out the corn from the trash.

This is a very bad year for this problem. The moisture varies across the field and the corn is wet but high yielding. Great corn but conditions that are perfect for rotor loss.

Good luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The ultimate fix is round bar concaves. Even with every other wire pulled out of my large wire concaves, I still have trouble plugging them if it is damp. I don't have any experience with case round bar concaves, but I have seen them. Harvest Services round bars actually don't have any wires running around them just the round cross bars. I think the only way to eliminate concave plugging is to go with the round bars. I have never bought a set of my own because we do not combine a lot of corn. If I remember correctly, a set for a 44 or 66 size machine were about $1800 - $2000 for Harvest Services. I have never priced a set for 88 machine or 70 or 8010. Anybody around here that has put round bar concaves in their machines has been very happy with them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been having the same problem, same setting as you but with a 1640. The little bits of cob are driving me nuts. How hard is it to pull the wires?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I forgot to mention that I'm having to run the head on the ground in extremely tall corn because of blow down.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Normally, the more stalk and leaves that you put through combine, the more trouble you will have plugging concaves. It is not hard to pull the wires as long as they are not bent any where or you may have to cut those ones out with torch. If there are any bent bars, the wires may not pull out that easy either, otherwise just take the plates off the and of the concave and tap the wires out from one end and pull them with vise grips or tap on the vise grips. I would start by pulling the first wire out at one end and then alternating. I find it easier with the concaves out of the combine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts