The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2001 2388 that we keep having trouble in the cleaning shoe either breaking the chaffer or the rails that hold them up. Put new bushings in and still does it. Seems like goes for awhile then piles up. Cant figure it out. :mad:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check the timing??
On the right side of machine loosen 6 sided belt take it off the big pulley (Shaker and table auger drive
put a mark at 1200 and 600.
Rotate the pulley through the bush windup and let it go as it over centres and goes into neutral ie 1200 and 600
Do your marks consistantly stop in close to the same position.
If your marks stop at variable points and all the other hardware is good ....bearings /bushes etc then you will need to look into timing the shaker assembly.
If you or anybody need to know that tell me and i will pass it on

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I agree with the shaker shaft and cams being a consideration. Remove the left side first bushing bolt and see how much slop there is in the cam to shaft mating. Not side play, but drive play. The factory made a serious mistake with this area, but it is what it is and we have to deal with it. Even a new shaft and cam will not be a good tight fit, but it will be nearly tight. Much wear at this point and the left rails will follow the right rails a few degrees each stroke. This tends to work the shoe and chaffer in a parallelogram manner and in no time will work harden the metal to the point of failure. IMO

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I would have to say that your problem will be with the shaker rubber bushings . I've seen them wear out in one year but it really wasn't their fault as there was a issue with the washers between and behind them ( side to side alignment ) . Then there was rail issues as soon as the rubbers had any slop in them .

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I had problems for a couple years, this summer stripped it down and started at the large pulley on the RH side. Changed the pulley hub (worn where slip clutches insert|), slip clutches, shaker shaft, shaker shaft bearings, shaker cams, cam bearings, pivot pins and bearings, shaker bushings, and arm bolts.
Find the source of the problem, the chaffer rails breaking are just the symptom. And parts are cheaper than downtime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.