The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'll try to keep this simple. Every so often when I hit the switch to turn the feeder on it doesn't start. I can only get it to work by switching it off and on again until it finally engages. I started having this problem last fall (but forgot about over the winter) and thought the switch in the cab might be the culprit, but now that we're in wheat I can tell that the switch is fine (the reel starts, but the feeder does not). Anyone have any ideas about where I should look for a problem?

Dad has relieved me for a few hours this afternoon so I told him to keep an eye open, but, of course, he gets in and everything starts fine the first time.

·
Registered
998 Posts
From what you are saying Kevin with the reel working, check the feeder drive belt engagement arm gauge window / block mechanism. These can bind up with dust / corrosion and make the feeder actuator hard to engage. Tap it lightly with a hammer to loosen it and spray some lube in there and make sure it is adjusted properly (check your ops manual for specs).
This most of the time is the cause for the feeder slipping too. People go straight to the slip clutch and overlook the belt. Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It also could be the solenoid located right above the transmission. It sorta is a pain to change. Found that out last year when the feeder was not engaging all the time

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a thought..... but isn't the seat safety switch wired in this circuit??? Maybe his butt makes it engage a little better, i know my butt would put alot of pressure on it !!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha! Interesting thought, but my dad is a skinny guy. I've got a good 15 pounds on him.

I cleaned and lubed everything this morning and thought that took care of it, but it started giving me grief again this afternoon. It seems to be worse when it's hot. After dark while I was flipping the switch trying to start the feeder I had a thought that it might be a voltage issue, so I turned off the lights and everything started on the next try. It was probably a fluke, but it might be something to think about. I hope it's not a solenoid.

Update: I didn't have a bit of trouble yesterday. I don't what the deal is. It's raining right now (yay!) so I'll take the time to look everything over more closely whenever I can get back out to the field.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had similar problem on a 2166, messed with it for a year. Then things started getting worse. The unloader started doing funny things, Then one night the header shut off and the parking brake came on. Could not even move. Found that a nut came loose and finally fell off a grounding stud behind the RH cab service door. Replaced the nut and it fixed everything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The switch could be the culprit as well. We had a 2166 that we fought for a couple years, doing the same thing-it would engage fine until mid to late afternoon when it was hottest, traced low voltage back to the feeder switch. The switch would test fine, until you put some kind of load on it, then you had a voltage drop across it. Replaced the switch, and haven't had any trouble with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I dont know what year combine you have but if its fairly current, go to the engine compartment and between the engine and the rotor side look around the fuel filter for a plug with two wires in it. on the other end it will have a thermometer on it. make shure that it is pluged in properly. If it is not this may be part of the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts