The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2388 & 30' 1020. FT works great when lowered but leaves one end on the ground when raise at the end. I think the whisker switch on the feeder house should turn the FT off and level when raised. I cut last year's beans by manually turning FT off before raising and back on when lowered.. Flipping a switch is not a huge deal, but I'm ready for it to work correctly. My question is where do I start troubleshooting - switch, fuses, relays, wires, etc. And is there a way to check that switch before I buy one for $450 ? Many times I've bought switches\sensors and it wasn't the problem, and there goes a few acres of beans out the window. So any suggestions, ideas are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Likely NOT the switch. The switch just switches between "field" and "headland" modes. It should not be touching the pivot when in field mode, raise the head until it contacts the pivot and that switches to "headland" mode.
  • In "field mode" FT compares the header sensors to the balance knob
  • In "headland mode", FT compares the faceplate sensor to a fixed reference in the dash
  • The switch toggles relays in the fuse compartment to switch between the two modes.
Testing is as follows:
  1. If you can rock the head side to side with the balance knob, its in field mode. Lower head and check, then raise the head and check. This is the best way to tell if the switch is working or not. Go to #2 or #3 below.
  2. If you can still rock the head with the balance knob when head is raised.: 1) adjust or fix the switch & 2) check you cutterbar "hang"...sounds like one end of the cutterbar is not traveling as far, so raised it tilts.
  3. If you can not rock the head when raised, then the following items should be checked: 1) faceplate sensor & linkage (is it disconnected or bent?) and 2) the FT relays in the fuse console. The relays are common and cheap...pull one, go to Napa and get 6. Replace them all.
If the above does not help you fix the problem, ask for more....I know that system way too well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Likely NOT the switch. The switch just switches between "field" and "headland" modes. It should not be touching the pivot when in field mode, raise the head until it contacts the pivot and that switches to "headland" mode.
  • In "field mode" FT compares the header sensors to the balance knob
  • In "headland mode", FT compares the faceplate sensor to a fixed reference in the dash
  • The switch toggles relays in the fuse compartment to switch between the two modes.
Testing is as follows:
  1. If you can rock the head side to side with the balance knob, its in field mode. Lower head and check, then raise the head and check. This is the best way to tell if the switch is working or not. Go to #2 or #3 below.
  2. If you can still rock the head with the balance knob when head is raised.: 1) adjust or fix the switch & 2) check you cutterbar "hang"...sounds like one end of the cutterbar is not traveling as far, so raised it tilts.
  3. If you can not rock the head when raised, then the following items should be checked: 1) faceplate sensor & linkage (is it disconnected or bent?) and 2) the FT relays in the fuse console. The relays are common and cheap...pull one, go to Napa and get 6. Replace them all.
If the above does not help you fix the problem, ask for more....I know that system way too well.
Jeff,
We have a similar problem that we cant crack. The field tracker works fine in the row but when raised it pushes all the way to the left and will not center balance when the head is raised. We replaced the center pod on the FT feeder housing but it did not seem to help. The fuses and relays also seem to be good. I've also done some wire tracing from the connection at the head all the way back through to the fuse panel and there are no apparent breaks. Would you have any obvious places to start? I'd love to have a conversation with you if possible.

Thanks,
Jason Carlton - Ohio

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Jason:
THis could be a few things , the fact that it works OK down on the ground means you don't have any "major" problem....just have to find the problem. REmember- the switch activates the swap relays to: When down on the ground, the Controller compares the Header FT input to the Balance pot. When raised, the Controller compares the faceplate angle sensor to a fixed reference in the console. Reference the schematics attached.

1st Question is always- CAN you rock the head with the balance pot when you have the header up? If so, see # 1. If not, see 2-4

Some possibilities:

1) The spring switch may not be working. THe header sensors are different enough when raised off the ground the header tips all the way over one way. You would be able to "rock" the head with the balance pot if this is the problem.

2)one of the FT "swap" relays may be bad. SO the switch trips and fires the relays and....open circuit. THis is a really cheap troubleshooting - just replace all those relays. Can get them at any Napa/etc - just standard 5 terminal Micro Auto 12V relays. Take one in and find one that looks/fits!

3) The LAteral tilt pot/wiring on the front of the feeder may be bad. Measure it - the center (B) terminal (signal wire, measure to frame ground) should read 4.0V with the feeder centered. It should increase/decrease as you rock the faceplate back & forth. (must be measured connected, backprobe terminal with paperclip, etc)

4) The "fixed reference" module in the dash may be bad. Its a little resistor pack that also should read 4.0V on the signal wire.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts