The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2388 & 30' 1020. FT works great when lowered but leaves one end on the ground when raise at the end. I think the whisker switch on the feeder house should turn the FT off and level when raised. I cut last year's beans by manually turning FT off before raising and back on when lowered.. Flipping a switch is not a huge deal, but I'm ready for it to work correctly. My question is where do I start troubleshooting - switch, fuses, relays, wires, etc. And is there a way to check that switch before I buy one for $450 ? Many times I've bought switches\sensors and it wasn't the problem, and there goes a few acres of beans out the window. So any suggestions, ideas are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Likely NOT the switch. The switch just switches between "field" and "headland" modes. It should not be touching the pivot when in field mode, raise the head until it contacts the pivot and that switches to "headland" mode.
  • In "field mode" FT compares the header sensors to the balance knob
  • In "headland mode", FT compares the faceplate sensor to a fixed reference in the dash
  • The switch toggles relays in the fuse compartment to switch between the two modes.
Testing is as follows:
  1. If you can rock the head side to side with the balance knob, its in field mode. Lower head and check, then raise the head and check. This is the best way to tell if the switch is working or not. Go to #2 or #3 below.
  2. If you can still rock the head with the balance knob when head is raised.: 1) adjust or fix the switch & 2) check you cutterbar "hang"...sounds like one end of the cutterbar is not traveling as far, so raised it tilts.
  3. If you can not rock the head when raised, then the following items should be checked: 1) faceplate sensor & linkage (is it disconnected or bent?) and 2) the FT relays in the fuse console. The relays are common and cheap...pull one, go to Napa and get 6. Replace them all.
If the above does not help you fix the problem, ask for more....I know that system way too well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr Jeff ! I will give those a try. It may be a few days before I dig it out of the shed, but wanted to have some ideas where to start. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts