The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I remember correctly they recommend something like 1300 or 1400 pounds of ballast for a 36' header. We only run 600lbs of cast iron on the back and it isn't enough, but with fluid in the tires along with your heavier iron you should okay. It'll be a lot better than ours, at least, and we get along pretty good as is.

edit: My mistake, the manual says 1800lbs ballast for a 2052 with gauge wheels and plastic tine reel. It says to add 400lbs for steel tine reel and 300lbs for the transport package. I think a 2062 is a little heavier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks OKpanhandle,
We're at about 1700 pounds right now and have (4) 100 lb plates left we could put on. Sounds like that might be advisable. Didn't want to get too much weight on the rear axle, but if it is not a problem for that axle we would much prefer keeping those rears on the ground. I was a little surprised that the flex draper was so much heavier than the MD rigid. We ran a 30' foot 962 on a MF 860 and didn't think the 36 would be a problem. Should have researched it deeper. Hope the extra weight is worth it. Bought the flex for the lentils. Have been cutting them with the 30' rigid MD, but it was far from perfect. Few guys had the flex draper around here last year and gave them rave reviews.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just bought an 05 2388 and had to find a header in a hurry. Ended up with a 36' 2062. Not too worried about grain capacity as we have lighter crops (20-50 bupa wheat, 800 - 2200 lba lentils) and are willing to go slower. The weight is the concerning part. I see on MD's page that the 36' 974 FD is 432 lbs heavier than the 30' 974 FD. Would this be the same for the CIH 2062 as I'm thinking they are very similar heads? We've put chloride in the back, third lift cylinder, and 800 lbs of suitcase weights on the back. Not sure if the 18.4 x 38 duals will handle the weight up front or if we'll still be too light in back. Any suggestions/comments? We'll have to make it work this year, but maybe we'll be looking for a thirty ft for next year and have a 36' available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts