The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Malt barley or feed? Damage constraints if malt? Yield? Standing or windrows?

Where we work in irrigated barley that is windrowed for Coors, yeilds typically 135+ people run them in a corn set up with no issues.

I would think that loss would be an issue as well as damage running small wire...

·
Registered
277 Posts
it is malting barley for miller. It is dryland barley put in a 21-25ft windrow. We have been tending to trash it on the dirty side with our old john deere's. You think the all small wire will be to aggressive. Yields are 75-100.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, you can run all small wire without any problems. We've thrashed many acres of both Coors and Bud barley and we just back off the concave clearance and slow the rotor down. Not a problem.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Was wondering what people are running for concaves. I have heard all small wire, and also large wire in the middle. Could you run all small and just open the rotor alittle more??

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a little checking, I think you should be fine.

Talked to a guy that has run it both ways, he said that he went to the corn set up in 03? when coors had some issues with real loose skins and damage was an issue. Said he continued it as damage was no longer an issue ever and and as a result he saw a capacity gain. Said he would not be scared at all to go back and run small wires though.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He said there was a capacity gain going with the corn setup because he could run his rotor speed higher without damage worries. Just a matter of pulling it through faster.

As far as loss, I would think that large would be better than small though we did not address that in particular.

I know that in our Massey rotors we pull wires for Barley, we figure that there is a little advantage to capacity plus less worry of damage.. We run the same clearance all wires or wires removed. I will admit though we are always in a crunch to make it corn in the fall--so it is done if we do it before barley.

PM me with some specifics or I can get someone for you to get ahold of...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts