The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the website but really impressed with the info on here. My dad picked up a used 03 2388 800 hours and wondering about anything a guy should watch for or make sure is done before it leaves the dealer. Have always had red tractors but coming from deere combines.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Hello. Thoroughly inspect chaffer/seive bushings, bearings framework etc. I am no expert but we had trouble with our 02 that had much less hours than our 99 that has more hours and no update cast framework piece on left and right side of combine where you grease needle bearings. Can't think what you call it. Check auger bed for cracks beside combine frame. Field tracker nylon wear pieces.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you are buying it from a Case dealer you should be able to get one of their mechanics to give it an inspection for free.

They will make suggestions on what needs to be replaced or repaired on the machine.
I would check the wear on all the augers. Check the rotor bar wear in the front 1//3 of the rotor. Check for bends in the concave from rocks entering the rotor. The clean grain elevator clutch and chains should be checked for excessive wear. After 800 hours I would check the condition of the feeder chains and front bearings. I have seen many combines where the chain was mis-adjusted and the front bearings were shot. Read the operators manual for proper adjustment.
I would change all the oil or grease points on the machine. I have bought machines with 450 hours on them and none of the longer hour oil change points were touched they still had perfect red paint on them. You may never know the history of the machine so I always change all the filters and fluids in the machine, carefully read the manual because the change points are not easy to find for the first time. It is quite a bit of work but you will be starting from an exactly known point of operation.

If it has a straw chopper check the blades and make sure you can adjust them
The rotor 3 speed gear change linkage can bind and make shifting difficult.
Check all your chains they stretch and are cheaper to replace than a worn out gear.
Check the rotor drive belts they can be split or cracked. Check the condition of the bearings on the torque sensing rotor pulley. Make sure you grease the two bearings every 10 hours.

Again it is worth having an experienced Case mechanic look it over. This combine like all combine has some weak areas that a good mechanic will check for trouble.

800 hours was not a lot in the old days but with grain carts unloading on the go and operators running 6+ mph its amazing how much grain may have gone thru your combine in 800 hr.
Maybe 2500 bp hr times 800 equals 2,000,000 bushels.

I have a 04 2388 and really like it. It had only 450 hours on it when purchased but I still had to put $6000 worth of parts in it to get it in shape. Good luck with your combine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer is giving it a complete once over. All new fluids, new feeder chain, sieve bushings and rasp bars were done last year. Seem to read about alot of sieve problems so have to watch that close. They said the combine came from a good operation, which i believe, it looks like new yet. The only thing we have planned is to put the extender on the unloading auger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts