The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today our 2388 nearly burned. There was heat coming from the gearbox and some chaff and chopped straw from a long working day lying close to it started burning. We took the sprayer and put water on it as there was fervor all around. I have no explanation as there is no strange sound coming from the box and so far it works perfect. Otherwise the colour got lost and it must have been really hot. But I have no explanation why a working gearbox got so hot it got so hot that the chaff started to burn. Has anyone a tip or an explanation for me? Or has anyone made the same experiences? There was still some oil in it

Chris Kern

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I was about to ask the same thing as ayars. I've had sunflower dust smoldering on top of the PTO on a 1480 before. It had plenty of oil at the time and since the combine ran another two years before we sold it I don't guess anything was wrong with it (the PTO). Thing just gets hot, I suppose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my opinion, just about all combine fires start from exhaust components. A piece of burning chaff will then blow just about anywhere, and if it lands in the right place, will start something on fire. The best way to reduce fire risks is to keep machine as clean as possible. I've been in sunflower conditions where something is on fire every hour, In which case you need to blow off combine on less than an hourly basis. In most wheat conditions, a daily cleaning should eliminate nearly all fires.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We had some unexplained fires on our 2388's in the past, some things you might want to check: fan belt and tightener,the belt can be slipping and engine temp/alt still running fine, that air flow is all that keeps the engine compartment clean. keep rad clean to get max air flow, Also make sure the exhaust pipe isnt cracked at the turbo flange. keep the rear vertical engine shields (all 3)installed to force the air all the way through the engine compartment. keep the PTO oil cooler clean so the air can pass through. repair any fuel leaks on the injector return lines to keep engine clean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts