The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a new combine for next fall and am trying to decide between a 2388 or an 8010. I am looking for something in the 2003-2006 model year range. I know a lot of people with the 2388 combines and have heard very few negative things about them. I like that they have been time tested and proven.
On the other hand the 8010 looks like a nice machine but I haven't had any hands on experience with them or heard any real world reviews. It would be used to harvest corn and soybeans only.
If anyone has experience with both these machines or maybe just the 8010 I would like some input.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you are going to go with an 8010, go with an 06. Just make sure that it has had all the updates put on it.
A 07-08 2588 should be around the same price range as a decent 06 8010.
A 05 2388 is the last year of the mechanical engine. 06 began the Tier 3 with the electronic engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 8010 has more creature comforts & is a class 8 machine. The 23's & 25's were pretty much bullettproof but you don't get in cab seive controls. rotor reverser or self leveling cleaning system. 8010's around here are very popular & after the 1st couple of years have been nearly as reliable & just as cheap or sometimes cheaper.

·
Registered
176 Posts
On the 23's what are the pro's/con's on the mechanical vs. the electronic- why would you want one vs. the other.

Thanks-

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have both 2388 & 8010. I have had good luck with both machines but do believe the 8010 is more comfortable to run and just as reliable. I am thinking of trading my 2388 for another 8010 so both are the same. As I said they are both good machines but the 8010 has about 25-35% more capacity. As far as maintanance goes they probably cost the same per acre to run but the 2388 is easier to work on without all the computer and guage stuff. Just my 2cents
good luck Josh

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 2388 has a mechanical injection pump, the 2588 has common rail injection. Turn a screw on the 23 & get more HP, chip the 25. You can update an 8010 from the 1st one produced with all the updates available on a new 2010. I would start with the feederhouse. Check with your dealer, there are numerous update kits available. If you want to PM me, I will do a little checking for you if you're near KY.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How many acres? What crops? What size heads? Knowing that would be a big help in nowing what to recomend. If a 2388 is more than adequate why spend the extra money for an 8010?

That said, we 've been running an '02 2388 that was made right at the end of the run & has most of the '03 upgrades. This fall we rented a 7010 to finish corn harvest. Lot of difference bewteen the capacity of the 7010 & the 2388. Also a lot of "goodies" on the 7010 that the 23 doesn't have. WE had a lot of dwncorn & a lot of damp days. One feature that really came in handy was being able to reverse the rotor. Matter of minutes to back out a slug compared to what would have been at least an hour with the 2388.

I have owned AF combines since 1982 when I bought a new 1440. Of all the AF combines that I have owned since buying the 1440 the 2388 gave us more problems than any other AF combine. . Probably put over 1,000 ac of corn thru the 7010 & the only problem we had with it was the 'S" clips breaking on the feederhouse chain & had one of the fh chains jump a tooth on the sprockets a couple times in damp,down corn. Wish IO could say the same about the 3212 cornhead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now we are only running a little over 1000 acres of corn and beans but have plans of expanding. I know the 2388 would be adequate to handle our acres but I am going to be the one with my butt in the seat all fall year after year. So if the 8010 is a good reliable machine and it has a few more features that make things a little easier I would be willing to spend a little extra. Another thing I am considering is doing a little custom work for some neighbors in the area so that would probably double the acres going through the machine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fopr a 1,000 acres of corn & beans a 2388 would be more than adequate & still give you enough machine to be able to do some custom work if you wanted. We've been putting around 2,400 acres of corn & beans thru our 2388 a year. Usually just my son & I with a little help in the evenings & weekends from a guy that works in town. Mainly he does tillage work while we do the harvesting / trucking. Some of our fields are 15 miles from a bin or elevator so we don't unload on the go very much except when we are on a farm that has a bin on it then usually I run the cart & dump in a truck or wagon positioned over an auger. This year because of long waits at the elevator we did pick up a truck driver to help when we were harvesting the distant fields.

What about head size. Are you looking at running an 8 row head or 12 row? 25 / 30' platform or a 35/40'? If you're planning on the smaller size heads then owning a large combine such as an 8010 isn't going to gain you many acres in a day. We ran a 1083 on our 2388 for several years & a 30' 1020. With the 1083 we could pretty much max out the head capacity with the 2388. Usually ran 5 -5.5 mph in 200 bpa corn. That was about as fast as you can push a 1083 & have it still do a good job of bring in the corn. Much faster & you were running over the crop. Same thing with the 1020. Under normall harvesting conditions head capacity usually can into play before machine capacity did.

I have no problem with being "oversized" on equipment. In fact I pretty much operated that way for years with the idea if I had an opportunity to expand or do custom work I would have the equipment to do it.

As mentioned, I did quite a bit of custom work when I first started out farming. I started out renting the family farm & a from a couple older landlords, total about 320 acres. I picked up what custom work I could to help buy bigger equipment. I have pros & cons about custom work. yes, it helped pay for equipment I couldn't otherwie have afforded. However, to get custom work & to keep it you have to put it first & your's last. Sometimes that can work against you. The other thing, I had a couple guys that kept promsing me their ground when they got ready to retire or got businesses established & got out of farming. I believed them for several years bu I finally realized it wasn't going to happen. What I ended up with was equipment that had a lot more hours on it than it would have had otherwise & no longer had the income from custom work to help buy new(er)

I'm not trying to discourage you, just stating what happened to me & what I have seen happen to others in this area. Just throwing out some "food for thought"

Hope you can make it work,
boog

·
Registered
293 Posts
Also what needs to be considered is the amount of extra equipment needed for a larger combine.
Our nieghbor runs a new 8010 and has to have two grain carts and four to five trucks to keep up depending on the distance to the elevator. That's more people sitting in equip all day for a month or two.
I run a 2388 as well as many others, and I only have one grain cart and two or three trucks depending on the disrtance also. For my operation it is more cost effective to have a really good decent combine that dosn't have all the bells and whistles. I am a harvester and my machines are running most all the year, but my dad's combine sits in the barn 10 months out of the year, so it's really up to you on how much comfort and extra equip. you want.
If you don't have the supporting equip. you will be doing alot of time sitting in your fancy cab waiting on things to be emptied. Just thought I would mention this.

Good luck,

·
Registered
103 Posts
alot of good points already made. we run 2388's and 8010's. if you are a cutter it really changes your whole operation. the weight was my biggest problem for transportation. i had to modify a combine trailer to make it work. as far as the harvesting goes, amazing. we bought the 8010's this last spring and at the time we were looking at around 15,000 difference between 8010's and 7088's. for that might as well have the capacity and hp. as custom cutters we didnt really care about the header switch over, because case is going to force us to change anyways. in 40 plus wheat i was getting 1.5 to 2.5 mph depending on cutting condition over 2388. in soybeans the 2388 wasnt even close to touching the 8010. it was always 2 to 2.5m mph faster plus did better behind the combine. as far as the mechanics, not much to it. we are born and bread with the 1480-2388 knowledge, so was very scary going to the 8010's but simple to learn.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you are not thinking of using a 12 row and 36' plus bean head, the 8010 is a waste of money, you will be better off looking for a lower hour 2388 2588.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For 1000 acres, I would definitely go with the 2388. We do about 1200 acres of corn and 500 acres of beans a year. With about 600 acres of barley/wheat that we double crop with beans.

I run the combine 99% of the time and we don't have any problem getting done on time. Our last 2388 had 5000+ hours on it with very few problems. Our current 2388 we bought used with 1300 hours on it and didn't have any problems this season. Just have to keep the chains and belts tight and maybe replace a chopper knife or two. We go over all of our equipment each winter and this may be why we don't have problems in the field.

We demoed a 8010 a few years back and it was a POS. We had to ducttape and caulk the clean grain elevator to keep wheat from running out. While cutting beans with a draper head, a helper picked up a rock and it broke the feeder chain. Never broke a feeder cahin on a 2388.

JMHO.
-dan

·
Registered
975 Posts
Go with the 8010 you will be happier. It is a better machine with more creature comforts. It will get more done on the same amount of fuel as the 2388. Don't worry about that you only till 1,000 acres. That is the first thing everyone told us....it's to big....you don't need a machine that big.....bla bla bla.....we only till around 1,500 acres and have been running a 2005 8010 for 3 years. Most of the ones that tell you not to get it are jealous. We are extremely happy with it, and look at the purchase as one of the best we have made. We are looking to expand just like you, and this combine will give us one to grow into. You see we keep combines for at least 8 years. The last one a 2188 we kept for 10 years, the one before that was a 1680 that we kept for 8 years. We felt that what was the sense of spending the money on a new 2388 when it was the same as our 2188. We can't afford to roll machines every year like some of the big guys.

Here are a few things to think about........................

1. You will need at least 3 semis in good corn with a short haul.....

2. You will need either 2 500 bu carts or 1 1000 bu cart.....

3. You should run at least a 35' platform, and a 12 row cornhead to get the full capacity out of it......

4. Any year 8010 is fine as long as the updates are done. You can get the dealer to do a check to see what ones have been done, and what ones haven't.

5. The 8010's have less maintenance then the 2388's. Only 3-4 belts, and chains.

6. 8010.s are built heavier than the 2388's.

7. 8010 has a direct header drive, and you can reverse the rotor. It also has self leveling sieves.

If you have any more questions just ask......
....Good Luck.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We very rarely use semi's for anything during harvest. Our fields are set up in a two different areas with adequate storage in each area. The guy that does our custom work right now has a 2388 with a 6 row head and 30' bean head. Because of the way we are set up we have to do a lot of sitting around waiting with two 500 bushel gravity wagons.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah the 23 will be running the 8.3 Cummins and the 8010 I think has an Iveco. Any day I would choose the cummins. We cranked the **** out of our up to about 330hp or so. There is a few problems that the intake can't get enough air in to make that power so it gets shot so I turned her back down about 10hp. Can't go wrong with the 2388 though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts