The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are running a 01' 2388 (new to us this year) with full gordon bars, 3 skip wire large wire concaves, keystock grates and an aftermarket sieve ( not sure what make they are, The chaffer is unadjustable and is made up of 5 inserts with oblong "D" shape holes.) And the shoe is a plastic type short finger. We are harvesting 26% 180-200 bu. corn and cannot keep from overloading the tailings over 3 mph with an 8 row head. The rotor is running 300 and the concave at 6 ( we are also having issues with griding the corn) and fan at 1300. The shoe is wide open and we cannot keep the tailings in check. I have checked and it's not the sensor or indicator playing games. The grain loss is acceptable and we are getting a good sample with more fines than i am used to seeing but in this area everyone is having the problem i am hearing. The tailings don't make sense to me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like you have a Gordon Airjet chaffer. I am suspicious that that your tailings are coming from overloading the seive on one side. What material has not fallen through the seive by the time it gets to the back of the inserts will fall through into the tailings trough or even go out the back. If this is the case you need to change the distribution of grain on the seive. Close the concave to 3 or 4 and play with your rotor speed. Don't be afraid to try extreme settings. Sometimes the "sweet spot" is not where you think it should be.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a kill stop and everything seemed uniform accross the sieves. The clean grain is in high. I did forget to mention that the vanes are in the slowest position. My latest train of thought was to advance the vanes to try an limit the amount of trash coming through the concaves as it seems most of the corn we've run into seems easily thrashed. Any thoughts? As far as extreme settings we've been gone to 230 on the rotor trying to limit the damage to the corn. We're dealing some pretty light corn this year and it seems to get chewed up pretty easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: 2388 overloading tailings in corn

The back part of a Gordon sieve is non adjustable fingers right?

If so i think you should investigate whether or not you have the largest hole inserts from Gordon, if not get them.

Your problem is that the corn makes it to the back part of the sieve where it goes straight to returns. Try to duck tape the back part off, then check the ground, if you start loosing corn, there's your problem.

I would get a different top sieve for corn.

Ran one for 2 years in wheat and soybeans. In 20% wheat you had to put in the largest hole inserts or you would have returns and rotor loss from excessive returns.

We had 2 of them and liked them in most conditions.

Chris.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with twinflow, change the seive. We had a Gordon chaffer in our 2144 and when we started corn this year I had more grain loss than ever. We also have light weight corn. We put in the regular seive and got along fine. Another thought I just had. Because the corn is light and the Gordon chaffer uses a high air volume maybe there is too much air blast and it's holding the corn above the seive and it's not falling through until it gets to the very back which is the tailings section. Try slowing the fan and see if that helps any. Please let me know.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Definately speed the vanes up. With gorden bars, you have a couple hundred percent more rasp surface threshing.

When you did the kill stall, did you physically open the tailing door and see what the contents looked like? Has the tailing elevator plugged up or just the readout says its heavy? I wonder if the paddles are worn out on the elevator chain and causing a high reading since you did mention that the grain loss is acceptable and the sample is pretty ok.

You might remove the front 4 or 8 gorden bars and install stock bars in those positions. I wonder if you are having a feeding issue getting the corn away from the impellers and into the concaves.?? A lot of people have been talking about the corn this year grinding up easily and other issues.

That plastic shoe, does it have the front few rows of louvers removed? Is there an added piece of tin to the top side of the air plenum right in front of the chaffer? I wonder if someone was trying to use 2 theories for cleaning and they dont play well together? The plastic shoe I believe is a Harvest Services product and they also promote the removal of the front louvers as well as the air diverter tin. However, I have not heard Marvin promote any thing like that. The Gorden air-jet is a whole different theory from the stock slat type chaffer.

I guess my next question is did someone not transfer the rubber air dam over to the gorden air-jet from the stock chaffer and you are loosing a lot of your air blast between the shoe access door and the chaffer?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: 2388 overloading tailings in corn

doorknob. I agree with the vanes being sped up in theory. The only reason for being in the slow position was that the previous owner told us that was where they needed to be. I didn't open the tailing door but the the full screen kit it was pretty clear. The tailing chain is probably 50% or worse but i don't think the problem is taking the material away (it shouldn't be there in my opinion) As for the shoe, i will have to look into the louver question i have not noticed them removed but worth looking at.
What is the air diverter you are talking about? As for the rubbers they are are all in place.
I remember now that the previous owner mentioned running the shoe at the "same angle" as the slats in the air jet inserts. Is there anything behind this. I did have the shoe closed a little tighter before and opened it up as soon as this tailings problem started.
One other thing i should add is that when we did our high moisture corn (30-34%) we used another set of inserts with bigger holes yet and had no trouble with the tailings. (We were told they were for HMC so we used them.) If i can't get through to Gordon's then were going to try twinflows theory with the bigger hole inserts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Here's a link to harvest services bulletins.
http://www.harvestservicesltd.com/index.php?p=bulletins

I cant open the various pages that detaill these items, because I dont have the right program on my puter.

Also, Jon Hagen had posted a picture of the cut down shoe on agtalk, but I cant find it right now. Maybe you can do a search there. It would be in machinery talk and it was fairly recent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My experience is that your chaffer is your problem. I've never had good luck with these chaffers in corn. Great for beans and small grains, but it comes out for corn unless it's 15%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts