The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to the start of the '06 harvest we installed a on our '02 2388. Since then we have had nothing but problems, replacing the belt three times in about 350 sep. hours.

What happens is the belt jumps toward the front of the machine cutting off the front rib (5 rib belt) at the chopper gearbox. First time it happened we suspected that we had done something wrong so had the dealer send a tech down to put a new belt on. That belt lasted less than 6 hrs :~(

Tech decided the pulleys were out of alignment and using a straight edge realigned them (was out less than 1/8") At the same time he replaced both rear motormounts and installed a restrictor in the hyd engage cylinder pressure line thinking that it was engaginging to quickly and jerking the motor around letting the belt jump a groove on the pulley. A new belt was insatalled as well.

Within a couple days the same thing happened again. Service manager recomended running the belt with 4 grooves & see what would happen while he searched for an answer.

About a week later he decided that the engine needed to be moved & sent a different tech down with another new belt. This tech recomended we run with the old belt until we saw if it was going to stay in place. Naturally it didn't

Service manager himself then came down & only thing he could find was that the guards were a little wide but were at the limit of the bolt slots.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem & what they did to fix the problem. What we can't figure out is that we never had a problem with the seperator drive belt until this year. My son & I are thinking that possibly CIH has started using a new belt vendor & specs are slightly different.

Talking to the service manager last week he said that there "were issues" but wouldn't say what. He also admitted that they had two other 2388s doing the same thing. he said they elongated the slots on the lower trap & that cured the problem on one of the machines but not the other. Originally we (s.m. & us) thought the belt was jumping when the seperator was engaged but the belt is actually jumping grooves when the seperator is diengaged & the belt falls away from the chopper gearbox pulley.

Any & all help would be appreciated

TIA,
boog

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
If you're running in corn, is there a chance you are getting a corn cob thrown at the pulley causing the belt to jump a groove? I've seen corn cobs move a belt off a pulley before, but that was on a smaller belt than you are talking about.

-Lance

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ive not heard of that

they did come out and do updates on all of the last 3-4 year combines...and put a orfice in.....and weve had to replace a couple blets lately (i love takeing all those shields off)

but nothing as bad as your talking about..

·
Registered
620 Posts
Had that happen once. Found the belt guides got bent out of shape when the belt prior flew off. Have to look very carefully, the linkage to the belt support could be bent as well. When the thresher is disengaged the belt should stop right away and not get pulled around by either the drive or driven pulleys. Found I have to adjust the new belt at least once a day until it stabilizes in the adjustment windows, seems the AFX rotor machines stretch the belt in sooner.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Come to think of it when I first went on a wheat harvest in 2004. We had a couple of older 23's (99-00) that had similar problems. One of them was really bad. After we excuse the first few belts to operator error they kept losing belts. Half way through the summer the boss got so pissed he made pro harvest come out to fix em and started threatening to run green. I think they got them under control, however I don't know if they were ever cured. The funny thing was I ran an 03 with the AFX. I think I adjusted it twice all summer. In irrigated wheat I was running anywhere from 1000+ bushels per hour. I never had rotor belt troubles at all. granted my machine had less than 200 hrs. on it at the beginning of summer but by the end it was pushing 600 hrs easy and never had a lick of trouble with anything seperator related. Most of these manufacturers have "block reps" these are usually the guys you want to be dealing with in a situation like this. (they know there stuff.)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
It started in 2003 this issue seems to be fixed when the proper updates are done.

Like i said i don't have the list but there was 3-4 things done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts