The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious as to how others set thier 2388's when combining canary seed. have std, spec, and AFX in three 23's.
Rotor speed, concave ( blocker plates if any), fan rpm, seive openings.
Run lots of return or very little?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
combined canary a few years back. one thing i have not forgotten about that crop is that it has to be dead ripe or it is your worst enamy, it wraps around the auger header and will not feed, also if the heads are not mature and moisture is to high, hard to thrash all the cornels out of the head

more than 2percent black cornels is a downgrade, i think i ran around the 600rpm rotor with the concaves from 1 to 3 depending on the day, fan around 800, shoe setting almost closed

cover up your sample spot with duck tape, do not over fill the hopper because the stuff will start to run off the side long before it sets the buzzer, and this goes for the trucks as well.... we over filled the truck and when we got back with another dump, there was a pile on the ground

we always had to quit not much latter then sundown, was to tought to combine

keep in mind the price of canary could hit close to 40 cents a pound so be patent with the crop. we usally averaged around the 25 to 30bu/ac

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we grow 300 to 1200 acres every year and no two years in a row does it harvest the same . started it today threshing easy alittle dirty but the partial heads dont add up if they are threshed out. 40 c/pound would be nice yield will be between 10 and 25 depending on field. July heat , aphids and hail took thier toll. We grow the older ITCHY variety as it still takes heat better and is very ITCHY this year. Rain the next couple days may help on that front.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm curious, did you ever settle on any settings for your 2388 in canary? I am just about to start mine here, and wouldn't mind some advice in this matter. I have heard from people running JD and MF combines, but not a CASE 2388.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone. New to posting on here but have gotten some very good info from you guys in the past. Canary seed. Thrashes a thousand times better if it sees a few 10 degree frosts. Concaves tight, rotor around 500, couple of filler plates. Can't remember sieve settings, sorry. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never heard about rain making it more itchy. Could be. I do know the hotter it is the more you will scratch if you're in the dust. Have never desicated canary but it does make sense to get it as dead as you can. We've almost always havested canary late enough that it freezes anyway. Many years ago we switched to the hairless canary seed - no more itching. Doesn't bushel quite as well but it's so much nicer to work with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.