The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be running a 2388 with a 30 ft 2062 this year first rotary machine I have ever owned.
First thing I appreciate all the information all of you post on this board it is very informative thank you all.
The combine has a AFX rotor with large wire concaves and I am looking at putting 2 cover plates on the front concave instead of changing concaves for cutting wheat.
How much HP do the cover plates eat up?
Should I use more?
Should I change to small wire concaves?
I want my sample clean enough to pass at the elevator perfection es not a must for it won't be for seed but I want a decent job of cleaning and threshing.

·
Registered
561 Posts
you will need a set of small wire concaves. The cover plates dont specifically eat hp they just hold crop from exiting through the covered concave. In hard thrashing wheat they are quite helpful, but not always nesasary. You will probably end up with unthreshed heads if you do not use small wire concaves unless your wheat thrashes very easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We tried the cover plates on the front concave and were not satisfied. They slightly reduced the number of 'white caps' and seemed to slow feeding on our machine. Went to three small wire concaves for our hard red spring and have been very happy. No performance loss. '01 2388 - 30ft. flex platform - std. rotor

·
Registered
619 Posts
Agreed, three small wires is the best setup giving the most capacity and cleaner sample.

Interrupter bars can also be installed in the front row of concave #1 and some installed where the tailings is dumped back into the rotor flow at concave #2. They clip to the wires between the crossbars on the concaves giving more aggressive threshing like in hard red and you don't loose separating capacity like cover plates.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is no magic setup that will work in all crops. It is a job to change the concaves but it is the best way to optimize the machine. Small wire in grains, large wire in soybeans and round bar in corn. You may even have to adjust the vanes.

Your reward for the work will be better grain sample, less power and fuel usage, and more capacity with less rotor loss.

The lighter two piece concaves in the 7010/8010 look better and better as I get older.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.