The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new user but have followed these threads for some time now. We are looking at trading for a newer 2388 but have found that for whatever reason, we can get into a lightly used 8010 for roughly the same money. We currently run a 2412 corn head on our 2388 and there's no question its underpowered. However, the issue with the bigger machine would getting the crop away from the field. Right now we can comfortably keep up with the 2388 but would have to push it pretty hard to keep up with an 8010. My question is, other than obvious things like increased capacity, are there any advantages to the bigger machine? Also, what kind of wear can we expect on an 8010 with roughly 800 hrs? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 8010 we're looking at is a 2007. What kind of money are you looking at to update an older machine?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
should have all upgrades, check them darn feeder chains, been a pain in the a's, control pressures have always been a issue, internal leakage, pro 600 monitor git the lastest software upgrade, scott.

·
Registered
657 Posts
you will be very impressed with the 8010 over the 2388 lots more power and capacity. if you can trade for not much more than the 2388 i would go 8010. last fall we ran ours next to a 2588 he could do a good job but could not keep up both machines had 8 row heads in 180 bushel corn. if it has had all the updates i would not be afraid of a 800 hour machine. as far as keeping the grain away from it you just don't have to work so late to get the same done as before. good luck i think you will be happy if you go with the 8010 you will love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of capacity increases can we expect jumping from a 2388 to an 8010? just trying to decide whether I can justify the bigger machine or if the sound of getting it for the same money as the 2388 is what excites me

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
put a 40' macdon head, they are awesome, heads are spendy, can use flex or ridig, you will be impressed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for you help guys. We would consider a 7010 but seem to be much more costly than an 8010 with the same hours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what does everyone think about buying a combine without seeing it? Like tractorhouse machinefinder ect.

·
Registered
657 Posts
depending on how far away it is i would like to see what i was buying. most dealers will be up front with you but spending that kind of money i would think even if you have to fly and go look at it it would be money and time well spent. it would be different if you were talking about a disk or plow but a combine i would make the trip just my feeling about it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would always go look at something if for no other reason than to deliver the deposit check. We bought an 8010 in December of 07 and I drove 14 hours that day to look at it. It was the only one listed out of 45+ 8010's at the time that had autoguidance listed. The dealership has a store an hour from us, but that wasn't were the combine was at. I took my old man along and all he said the way up was how this wasn't something we should do and we should just get a new 7010 from our local dealer. On the way home all he could talk about was how nice the combine was and how little wear it showed. He was very impressed with the dealership also and overall it really opened his eyes to how differently business could be done than he had all his life. We have purchased other equipment from the same dealer since and the combine is worth about 15,000 more now retail to retail than I paid for it. I've run it for 2 seasons now.

Go take a look at it so you are comfortable with everything. Peace of mind is more important than we often think. I would hate to think how much bs I would've had to put up with from the old man all winter until that combine showed up. We ended up taking the leap to a draper 2 months after buying the combine on the recommendation of the salesman alone. We were the first in our dealer network to get one and it blew all the mechanics and salesmen who saw it run away. The 8010 is a big leap in electronics technology and if you get a draper it will dramatically change how much you are able to get done in a day.

My best advice would be if you see it makes sense for your operation, don't let others opinions of what they would do sway you. Everybody expands at different intervals because it fits their operation best. Nobody here who offers you advice has to either pay the bills or run the machine. Kudos for using us as a research tool though!

·
Registered
423 Posts
some dealers would love to sell a combine over the phone and a few pics over the e mail but you are talking 200 K you best spend a day and go look at it.TRUST ME/ ha ha.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
We went from 2188 to 8010 and love it. The 12 row head on the 2188 was not fun. now the 8010 has no problem. We bought a used 36' draper, but wish we had a 40'. I combined 60 bpa soybeans at 6.5mph and had some power left. had it into shop for routine stuff and we believe they are no more expensive to maintain than 88 series. Yes, go 2006 and newer if you can. Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts