The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd try to post a few pics of wheat harvest.
As you can see some of the wheat was a little flat.

We had some good running too.

Time to get a bigger cart.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the second year with the massey head.Head loss varies with conditions.It does very well as long as the hood is low enough to keep the grain from flying out.The first pic that wheat was completely flat and the stripper head sucked it all off the ground with little loss.I do custom work and this head lets us start earlier and run later.We just got done running around the neighborhood finishing fields that the smaller conventional combines either couldn't get the down stuff or the fields were too muddy. Most of my customers mowed their straw anyways and couldn't handle a windrow off a 17.5' head.We now run a 30' head. All of my straw can stand and wait till I'm ready to mow it and both my round and large square baler have rotocut to cut the longer straw.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heres a couple more

doesn't look like western pa in this one

had this pic in the same place
Thats me and my two boys

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi Max88!

+1 for good pics!!

Q: How does the stripper handle the downed wheat? I've heard someone saying that the header loss is quite big when using a stripper, but I would think that this would be worse when the crop has been flattened --> Am I right or wrong on all this??

- Peter

·
Registered
508 Posts
Looks like you will be posting some nice pictures in the future. You run some nice equipment. AGCO tractors and a Case combine. Not a bad combination. What does that head do about weeds? Wouldn't think any would go in the combine. Does it just shake the grain out of the head or chop it off? I've heard of some guys doing 10mph+ with a stripper head. Is it possible to pick up a rock with it?

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you mean width for span its a 22ft head When looking for one I happened to find this one on return trip from Louisville equipment show.I wouldn't mind a 25 ft but this one was priced right and I hauled it home. The head will lift the rear of the combine off the ground going down a really steep hill without any weights so its a pretty good match.As for weeds it will strip the weed seeds if they are mature and leave the stalk.It depends on moisture of the stalk what the head will do, if its really dry it will take all the hulls and some stalks through the combine,if the dews on at night the stripper will remove the grain from the hull and leave everything standing.It looks pretty cool with the wheat still standing with now grain in it.The farmers usually flip out that we left the grain until its explained there isn't anything in the head.We usually run 5mph but have run allot faster on good running or trying to beat rain.Down grain is usually 2-3mph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts