The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are all the pics of the CIH 2388 that we rented this year for harvest. Enjoy!!!!

We cut about 300 acres of spring wheat this year that had the 2388 going as as fast is it could go in second. As you can sort of see it got pretty dirty. We seeded a new variety of spring called Eden which is a club wheat.

Here I am having to wait as my dad unloads the R72.

The two machines cutting WW Eltan.

Here is the Case cutting right before sundown.

My dad spelled me for couple passes. He wouldnt admit it but he enjoyed runnin the case eventhough he is a gleaner man.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had an average year for us with the winter wheat yielding between 50 and 60. The spring wheat had no chance to do well since we had a very dry spring/summer. It did 22 bpa which we were very happy with considering everything.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wamag- We farm between Odessa and Ritzville.

Tascowboy- The only reason that i can think of is that the duals are put on to add more stability on sidehills. We dont harvest in wet conditions or have many tractions problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tascowboy- A lot of the drier parts of the PNW are seeded in 14" to 18" rows. If the ground sets up over the winter it's ROUGH! The steeper parts of the PNW use them for traction both pulling up hill and holding the sidehills.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was very rough this year during harvest. We had a good rain while there was still frost in the ground which caused the top two inches of the ground to become mud. When it dried out, the furrows were hard as bricks. The combines didnt really make much of a track in the ground other than knocking down the stubble.

JGP-Im guessing that you grow mainly wheat from where you are located in Oregon. How did this years crop do?

·
Registered
664 Posts
that is a 12 row corn head weight kit, which with a case is a must. i cant beleive how front heavy those combines are compaired to our new holland. im almost 100% sure that is a tool box for a grease gun and extra oils

Matt

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think you are right about tool box fordboy. The JD combines we get from Machinery Link always have tool boxes for that sort of stuff. I like how it is out of the way on the Case. All the stuff on the JD is very easy to knock the crap out of your knee when fueling up and hooking the electric lines to the battery for the fuel pump and just general walking around up there.

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
js4fn

Nice Photos is that box on the rear platform fuel tank or tool box

I don't know. But it's a really poor place for a beer cooler.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How did the eden wheat do this year? We planted 900 acres of Chucker that went 46bu/ac. Not bad for 9.5 inches of rain. Also what drills are you using? We are still using HZ.

Another question for you. Who does the service work on your Machinery link combine up there? We were looking at them but the Case dealers, JRJ and Jones will not service them because of outstanding debts from Machinery Link.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Eden did not do well at all for two reasons. One was that we got about two tenths of an inch of rain from the time it was seeded to harvest. Second right as the plant was drying down we had a heat wave that made the kernals look like bird seed. We were satisfied with 22 bpa considering the year we had.
We also use the John Deere HZ drills as they work better for this area than anything else that has been made.
For your last question, the dealer in town, Odessa Trading Co. services all the Machinery Link combines just like they were their own. The only thing is that when they put them through the shop in the winter a guy from Machinery Link comes and looks at the machine and tells the mechanic what to replace and what not to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would love to use an air drill in our area and double shoot in a summerfallow rotation. Thinking of a JD conserva drill on a great plains frame. But thats too much $$$ for me. Got another question for you. Do you use coil packers in your area? Been thinking it would be nice to use one to firm up the ground before seeding. One of those 24" ones from Walters on the Morris frame. If you do what are the +/- of it. Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes we do use a coil packer. We have a 70' packer that we pull behind a D5 Cat. The pluses to a packer is that you have less roll back into your furrows when you seed which reduces the time it takes for the wheat to come up. It also obviously packs the ground down so you are closer to your moisture. We have found that if you seed perpendicular to the direction that you packed your furrows stay open much better. Also the slower you can go when you pack the better.
There are not many drawbacks that i can think of. One is that it is another operation that you have to do but it is worth it when the soil is very loose. Also they have a tendency to plug up when you get into the real loose stuff. Walters has helped this problem by making their own packer coils that are bigger in diameter and have a wider distance from coil to coil.

Overall the packer has at times been a life saver for us and is definitely something that you might consider looking into.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thinking its the way too go also. Just so many guys around here saying "once you pack kiss the topsoil goodbye" When do you pack after every operation or just before seeding? Sorry if its too many questions but talked to Walters last week and $35,000 for a 70 foot packer, a guy wants to make sure his ducks are in a row. One last one do you have a problem with it bridging in valleys or on slopes?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have never had a problem with the ground blowing after it was packed...nothing that is worse than normal for this area and we have fairly sandy soils. We only pack right before we seed. a lot of the time we will pack one field and seed it and then go to another and pack and seed it instead of packing it all and then seeding it all. it doesnt matter what order you do it though.

I dont really know if it is really hilly down by walla walla but i was actually very suprised how well it contoured to the ground. we have some fairly steep ditches and it handles then nicely for 70' feet. The packers almost never come off the ground. I dont think that you will have much of a problem with ditches but again i dont know the lay of the land down there.

We were pretty lucky in that my dad had bought the packer back in the 90s when they were dirt cheap. Also it was only a 40' packer too. We have extended it 70' by ourselves and it still works like a charm.

P.S. Hit me with anymore questions. i would be happy to answer them or at least try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
gleanerjunkie and wamag- Interesting conversation about the coil packing. We have started to use them the last couple of years when we feel we have enough cover or clods and have moisture to seed into. Haven't really found any drawbacks yet other than in our area I think you could powder the ground too much if you not careful. Definately need to keep the speed down and I think it's best to use a crawler if possible. We set up a 60 ft. set of weeders to pull the packer directly behind on the last weeding. It works OK but sure is slow. We also have a neighbor who does this with a 70 ft outfit. Also we have found that if you have a lot of trash to seed through, packing it helps a lot.

gleanerjunkie- Yes we grow wheat in Ione and in Walla Walla county. This year was good for us. Everything was slightly above average. I was curious about your location and was going to ask about packing but wamag beat me to it. You must close to the Stahls.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey gleanerjunkie, is this your first year with Machinery Link? How was your service from them this year? Did that 2388 show up when it was promised?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts