The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 99 2388 that isn't running right. It runs fine for awhile when we start it up. Than after about 20 minutes it will bog way down. Tried replacing fuel filters, and pump. Any ideas what it could be. It is fine if we shut it down for awhile and start it again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You are likely getting air into the fuel system. This can happen even if you see no external fuel leaks. It has been a problem for me on my R52 gleaner for a few years only I could drive a lot longer before I noticed the power loss usually two to four hours (depending on if unloading on the go or not). Shut down for a few minutes or let the machine idle and you seem to get more power. Last year I discovered that the reason that changing the water separator filter seemed to cure the problem for a while was because I eliminated the air in the filter when I changed it. Every time I got a power loss I shut down and bled the air out of that filter and power was better. I have replaced a line and had a electric fuel transfer pump installed but I think the problem actually came from the fuel shut off tap seal. I am not familiar with the setup on case.
Good luck I am positive that this must be happening to other machines out there.
It is a little baffling when you start out at 4.5 to 5 mph and notice that after a while you are only doing 3.7 mph with the motor rpm struggling.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh one last thing. Brought the combine to a dealers shop last spring and they connected a clear line on to the injection pump to see if they could see air bubbles in the fuel. They did not but I told them that there is definitely air getting into the filter. Hense an electric fuel pump installed before the filter $80 for the pump. $$$$$ for the installation. Would have been cheaper to change all the lines from tank to engine myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One other thing you might check. My combine did the same thing. On the older combines there is a strainer in the fuel line at the fuel tank. This can get clogged. This happened to me and I took the strainer out completely.

I don't know if the newer comines still have the strainer but it is worth a check.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Had the electric fuel lift pump act up once, would work fine cold and quit when it would get warm/hot. When the combine acts up, shut-off combine and turn key on and see if the lift pump works consistently.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had something like that corn kernal in the fuel shut off valve on a ford 4000 only it was a round piece of metal that acted like a butterfly valve. I would undue the line and poke in the hole and the fuel would flow great, a day later the tractor died in the middle of the field. Poked in the valve a few more times before getting the spraying job done and the tractor back to the shop to find the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't know if this is any help but here in Illinois we are just finding that the new 11% biodiesel seems to gel around 35 to 38 degrees. We have had some success with blending no. 1 to get things going. The fuel man has been blending the farm tanks as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:Don't know if this is any help but here in Illinois we are just finding that the new 11% biodiesel seems to gel around 35 to 38 degrees. We have had some success with blending no. 1 to get things going. The fuel man has been blending the farm tanks as well.

Dittos. Same trouble here. I was talking to one guy he was so mad, he's an old cattle farmer, he said "If the Arabs will eat my steak, I'll buy their d**n fuel!" Meaning he wanted nothing to do with soyoil again.

It is manageable from May 1 to mid-september here in North Iowa, that's our new theory. Outside of that timeframe you are asking for trouble. This is the first cold fall we've had in several years, so that's alot of the trouble too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had a similar problem this fall. Would run a few rounds, power would drop, stop for a little bit or change the fuel filters and it would be fine. Changed fuel filters 3 times...then decided to drain the fuel tank...when we went to take off the cap, it had so much suction you could barely get it off. Cleaned the cap out good and never had any more problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tommy, it sounds like you are having the same symptoms that we had a couple of years ago on a 2388. We were combining sunflowers and had a fire on top of the fuel tank. It is nearly impossible to get it out when it is in there. What happened was the fire melted the vent line shut that runs on top of the tank out by the radiator under the side door. We pulled a new vent line through by attaching it to the old one and she ran just fine. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.