The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
While doing pre season we were concerned about the wear in the hydro spline. Neils parts sell a extended hub that fits over the spline using the extra spline used for changing the belt. The part is made in the USA. Has anyone used this hub? Does it solve the problem of the worn spline on the hydro? They could not give me any measurements as they are waiting on shipments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will you still be able to change the belt?
Not without removing hydro.Mine has all flexible hoses so will only have to swing it out of the way by a inch.Then use the same procedure.That doesn't worry me as the belt rarely fails. More interested if any one has used this instead of replacing a worn hydro shaft that is about to fail.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I have not in a 2388. I have replaced a few splined couplers in 8820s that the hydro shaft looked horrible on. They kept going for many years of use. I used OEM couplers. Usually the shaft is hardened and wears much slower than the coupler.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If the spline is worn over 50% its doubtful that coupler is going to last much better.
Say its an inch longer, that means that 1 inch on the unworn area is doing all the driving.
It will quickly wear so then the whole spline will be worn and start climbing and strip.
The old 800 series combines had some coupler issues too due to non greaseable couplers, we used to get the machine shop to weld up the shaft and recut the splines and install a new coupler.
Had pretty decent success.
Now if you used this new longer coupler on a new or rebuilt shaft that would give it more life.
A greased coupler helps immensely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will pull it apart in the next few days and see if the coupler is worn more than the shaft. Will get a new shaft put in the hydro anyway. A lot easier now than in the middle of harvest. May be a good idea to keep a extended coupler in the shed.Could be enough to get the job finished one day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to find with the 23’s we ran you could wear out two couplings before replacing the pump shaft. Did run an extended coupling but on a new shaft and had it made by a local machining shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts